Frameworks

ngreenwood6

I have been looking more and more into using an existing framework for a few projects that I have coming up. I was thinking of writing my own framework but it can take alot of time to do it right and to implement all of the features that I want it to have. So I was thinking about using an existing framework that is out there and creating my own framework with it. Basically using the setup that they have but laying out my base stuff hence creating my own framework to use. I would like to get some opinions from some of the members here as to whether first of all I should go that route or stick with creating my own and second of all which one's you guys would recommend the most. I personally only code using OOP technologies and prefer something that will stay within that type and I am very ajax oriented and prefer to use that whenever possible. Any tips or input anybody would like to put in would be greatly appreciated.

Writing your own own framework is alot harder than you first may think. Sure a bare bones MVC is simple, but then you need sessions, DB, auth, messages and caching before you have a usable framework. One little slip up in security means your screwed.

tldr: Use an existing framework. Look around - Yii, Kohana, Zend Framework, Symfony, Lithium, CakePHP, DooPHP. They are mature, trusted and have a community(modules,support) around them.

Well, yeh, I'd search first. Personally, I use the ZF exclusively now. I have a 'skeleton' application which allows me to setup and build basic applications extremely fast. I don't think you should overthink what framework you use too much. Find a decent comparison and go for it. ZF has loosely coupled components so you can easily use say one of the web service components in another framework.

Important thing is that you improve the 'skeleton' as best you can so you have a solid foundation to build on.

I use the ZF exclusively now.

Indeed. A strong learning curve but it will pay off in the future if you know it (I already see more and more companies asking for people that have experience with ZF). ZF 2.0 (currently under development) has been completely refactored (and some rewrites) and uses PHP5.3 and has lots of speed improvements.

Diving into ZF also means you will be spending some time learning OO if you don't know already. So having a book handy on OO Principles, Patterns, and Practices will save you some headaches ;)

I use the ZF exclusively now.

Indeed. A strong learning curve but it will pay off in the future if you know it (I already see more and more companies asking for people that have experience with ZF). ZF 2.0 (currently under development) has been completely refactored (and some rewrites) and uses PHP5.3 and has lots of speed improvements.

Diving into ZF also means you will be spending some time learning OO if you don't know already. So having a book handy on OO Principles, Patterns, and Practices will save you some headaches ;)

Couldn't agree more! Really looking forward to ZF 2.0. I can't comment on any other frameworks because I haven't used them *much* or *recently* but I do believe the trend in companies asking for ZF experience is a good sign. Hopefully these speed improvements will put the performance talk to sleep.

Hopefully these speed improvements will put the performance talk to sleep.

Performance has been my only issue with Zend. To the point where we can't even use it at work (IIS Servers - i'm not sure if that is part of the problem) anymore and haven't for 12 months. We ended up having to completely rewrite an application built on top of Zend because it simply couldn't perform well enough. Now my boss is pretty skeptical of frameworks in general.

Hopefully these speed improvements will put the performance talk to sleep.

Performance has been my only issue with Zend. To the point where we can't even use it at work (IIS Servers - i'm not sure if that is part of the problem) anymore and haven't for 12 months. We ended up having to completely rewrite an application built on top of Zend because it simply couldn't perform well enough. Now my boss is pretty skeptical of frameworks in general.

Interesting. I didn't realize the issues were that bad. I admit, I haven't been at the forefront of a major app built on ZF so probably haven't had to deal with the more delicate performance issues. I use caching and some custom speed enhancements and it seems OK. Of course, as an 'enterprise framework' it should hold strong in enterprise situations, which in the performance department it evidently isn't.

I'll admit that this was only my 2nd or 3rd app built on top of ZF, and it was VERY large. We had caching in place and I spent quite a bit of time going through all the performance related information I could find regarding Zend apps. But yeah, in the end we had to drop it. I did however end up using bits and pieces of it, just not any of the routing, or controller & view stuff. We (me) wrote a small MVC (nothing else) that took care of that part.

Any chance for a ZF2.0 prototype to see if you still experience the bottleneck? :)

Not likely. I'm well and truly moved on from that application now. Besides, I wouldn't be able to invest the time at the moment, there's not allot of documentation around for ZF2 yet is there? I'm not too keen to work from the api docs & source code alone.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.