Google Maps API and Mobile Browsers

ukweb

I've done a few searches and cannot find a definitive answer to my question, although it is a simple one...

Q: Can a Google Map be embedded into a web page intended for mobile internet browsing?

We're doing a mobile version of our work web site and we need to know if this can be done for location maps.

Thanks!

Ste W

In general it shouldn't be a problem but...just so you know, it may or may not work on all mobile devices.  There are a lot of mobile devices that do not support javascript, or else support a watered down version of javascript that may or may not be robust enough to handle the js code used for google maps. 

But they do offer a static version specifically geared for maximum mobile device compatibility...not as feature rich as the js or flash implementation but I guess it really depends on your needs.

Google's documentation is usually pretty thorough about stuff, I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in their google maps api doc it touches on this subject. But if by some chance it doesn't, you will probably find an answer faster by asking the question through their Q&A system on their documentation/dev forums.

In general it shouldn't be a problem but...just so you know, it may or may not work on all mobile devices.  There are a lot of mobile devices that do not support javascript, or else support a watered down version of javascript that may or may not be robust enough to handle the js code used for google maps. 

But they do offer a static version specifically geared for maximum mobile device compatibility...not as feature rich as the js or flash implementation but I guess it really depends on your needs.

Google's documentation is usually pretty thorough about stuff, I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in their google maps api doc it touches on this subject. But if by some chance it doesn't, you will probably find an answer faster by asking the question through their Q&A system on their documentation/dev forums.

Nice one thanks, after looking at the solution you offered I discovered that the static version can have a link which will launch Google Maps app if installed on the smart phone :-)

This is the route we will go down I would have thought, thanks for pointing out the static map api

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.