otuatail

I have lots of web pages that are falling apart NOW. I am testing on

Firefox 3.6.13

IE 7.0.6001.18000

URL: http://www.yorkbaptist.org.uk/holclub/

In FF the text is lower than in IE and is hidden behind the font. ALSO

The text in splits at difrent places.

In IE

On Safari is over for this year and thanks to all the boys and girls who came along

In FF

On Safari is over for this year and thanks to all the boys and girls who

What is going on here. This is sending my hair grey

Desmond.

:shrug:

Your margins are not set to 0 on the paragraph element in question, causing it to use default settings ... in correctly working browsers.

IE7 or lower does not apply any default margins on this element.  (IE8 does, it will almost always look the same as FF 3.6)

When working with CSS it is useful to do some default settings e.g.:

p{padding:0;margin:0}

This will apply this style on all <p></p> elements in your markup. You can then override like

#PageContent p{margin-bottom: 8px;}

I don't see the text split differently anywhere. You could always give your boxes, divs background colors to see where it is going off.

gl!

No this does not completly solve the problem.

The amount of words on each line do not match in

Firefox 3.6.13 and

IE 7.0.6001.18000

#PageContent
{
  position:absolute;
top: 106px;
left:150px;
margin-top:5px;
margin-left:10px;
  font-family:verdana;
font-size: 14px;
width:600px;
height:360px;
border-width: 0px;
border-style:solid;
}

Let me save you hours and hours and hours of future headaches, and tell you that you should code for FF, then fix for IE, not the other way around. Almost all other browsers behave almost exactly the same as FF. IE is the one browser that does things from every other browser.

You can look up conditional comments as well, this is how you can fix for IE. There are ways to write your code so that you don't need conditional comments for the most part, but they are an invaluable thing when you haven't figured out all those little secrets yet.

Also be sure you have a DOCTYPE and I would also recommend starting off with a reset stylesheet (google "reset stylesheet" and you should find a slew of them)

I started doing this a while back and IE suddenly became much more compliant.

He has a DOCTYPE, check his source - and it's a correct one, too. the problem is not there.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

I tested your site in IE6, IE7 and IE8 and I can't reproduce your text wrapping issue.

[attachment deleted by admin]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.