Centering and spreading buttons out across top of page

cliftonbazaar

I have seven buttons across a page which I want centered and evenly spaced; I could do this via a table but wish to move away from tables and use css.

At the moment I have

style='text-align:center'

but this bunches all the buttons together in the center of the page; if I use

style='text-align:justify'

then the buttons are to the left.

first of all use an external stylesheet, inline css is confusing hard to maintain and ugly.

So what you could do is make a unordered list and let the list-items be shown inline.

like this:

<ul id="menu">
              <li><a href=""><span>Your text here</span></a></li>
   </ul>

Than in your external stylesheet you add this:

#menu{
    margin:0 auto; /* center for default browsers */
    text-align: center; /* IE 5 /6 needs this */
}
#menu li{
    display:inline; /* to make the list horizontal */
    padding:30px; /*some padding */
    text-align: left;  /* rest text align to left  for list items*/
}

Hope this helps!

cheers!

P.s. you might want to add display: inline-block for the  a elements to give them some body

If I recall correctly the example above needs a fixed height on the containing div to work - I might be wrong here.

Hmm i am not sure about that. It works perfect at my place.

i also heared that people that use inline styles, get struck by lightning twice as often, so that's another reason to separate markup and style.

i also heared that people that use inline styles, get struck by lightning twice as often, so that's another reason to separate markup and style.

Considering that there is a thunderstorm in the background at my place (not joking!) I won't take the chance!  :D

Have done what you have said (except I wrote padding:3%;) and it looks great  :thumb-up: :thumb-up:

James

If I recall correctly the example above needs a fixed height on the containing div to work - I might be wrong here.

Hmm i am not sure about that. It works perfect at my place.

you're right, it doesn't need the width because of margin: 0 auto on the ul itself so it does not need a containing div.

I've been using inline on this totally confusing and terrible spaghetti code project ... bring on the lightning, please.

Considering that there is a thunderstorm in the background at my place (not joking!) I won't take the chance!  :D

Have done what you have said (except I wrote padding:3%;) and it looks great  :thumb-up: :thumb-up:

James

If your working with percentages, make sure you have a parent with a positioning other than static with a width otherwise the body width is taken. (you could use em too)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.