extreme noob questions

Ok, totally new to PHP and am needing some serious help with PHP.ini and my godaddy account.

I have no idea how to set a php.ini file in godaddy.  there are tons of articles about it online and none of them have worked for me. 

the big thing i am trying to do is mail from a php script, and nothing i have done is working.

godaddy says they do not offer support for php related stuff.  but i have gathered that i need to put my own .ini file in  my root directory to change the settings.  but do i need to make a whole new .ini file, or can i just adjust the settings that i want to change? 

and do i just upload the .ini in the root directory of my website? 

when i do <?php phpinfo(); ?> on my site it shows that the configuration file is located in c:\windows... how is this possible?  it's located at http://itgetsbetter.tsagl.org/phpinfo.php

any and all help will be greatly appreciated.  i'm sure this is trivial for most of you, but i am new to all this and trying to learn as much as possible.  thanks in advance for the time

The value 'localhost' may be fine on that server; try it that way first. For the sendmail_from parameter, you can specify that as the optional fifth parameter of the mail function: '-faddress@server.com'

You should definitely read the manual entry linked to above; the implementation of mail() on WinD'ohs has some differences from other operating systems that you need to be aware of.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.