How to use hyperlinks in a statement ?

shenagsandnags

Im working on a movie database and im sure i can figure out how to insert a link into a table but i cannot figure out how to turn the movie titles themselves into the link when creating a statement.

Say my table looks as this

Title      |    Category  | URL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Titanic  |      Drama    |  Http://www.imdb.com/titanic

So when i create my statement i want the actual title itself to be the hyperlink. get what im saying ? In my statement results

i want it to look like:

Titanic    |    Drama

etc.  (With Titanic and Avatar being the link)

and not like:

Titanic    |    Drama      Http://www.imdb.com/titanic

Avatar    |    Drama    Http://www.imdb.com/avatar

etc..

Im still working on fully understanding all this so if i sound like a idiot just bear with me

something like this click to see example

http://scripttest.freeiz.com/

code

<?php
$con = mysql_connect("HOST","USERNAME","PASSWORD");
if (!$con)
{
die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
}

mysql_select_db("DATABASENAME", $con);
$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM TABLENAME ORDER BY Title");
echo "<table border='1'>
<tr>
<th>Title</th>
<th>Category</th>
</tr>";

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
{
echo "<tr>";
echo "<td width='100'><a href='".$row['Link']."'>" . $row['Title'] . "</a></td>";
echo "<td width='150'>" . $row['Category'] . "</td>";
}
echo "</table>";

mysql_close($con);
?>

$get_option_query = 'SELECT id, name FROM catagory ORDER BY id';
$result_set=mysql_query($get_option_query) or die (An error has occured retrieving the information from the database : '.mysql_error());
echo '<select name="cat_choice">'
while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result_set){
echo '<option value="'.$row['id'].'">'.$row['name'].'</option>';
}
echo '</select>';

Untested, but something like that should get you what you want.

ok but with all this will this still allow me to group my results in multiple tables ?  see all this has been real confusing to me because i have been using MS Access for some time now.  in access all i had to do was create a simple query and then use a report wizard which allowed me to group my results.  what i mean is, you see how the script above retrieved the movies but it showed the results in 1 table:

Titanic |  Drama

with ms access i had it showing results in multiple tables and each table was a category with a listing of titles related like:

-Drama-

Titanic

-Comedy-

Friday

Up in smoke

its gone now but i think i used something like :

Select Movies.title, Movies.[Category]

From Movies

Where Movies.[Category]=Drama ???

i also had another table called Categories which it only had ID and Category name.

would it be that hard to do this within mysql/php ?

i have been using MS Access for some time now

I'm sure there are clinics out there that can help with that (at least there should be)  :D

would it be that hard to do this within mysql/php ?

No, it's fairly easy, you just need to forget any access psudo-SQL you may have picked up and focus on the language that you want to use.  To format things they way you want you'll need to learn how to format tables using html as well.

lol..

yessss i do know some html and i plan on focusing on php/mysql fully but i atleast have to part time with MS untill i can switch completely over. meanwhile, i have been going over s--t loads of tutorials for php/mysql and i would have thought that i would have figured this one out on my own after about literally the 5th time but im still in the dark somehow. i thought maybe creating virtual tables with VIEW is what i would need to do but after reading surely there has to be a more simple method especially if i might be adding or moving around my Categories aka tables.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.