Polling alternative

Chris92

Is there an alternative to polling a MySQL database?

Basically I have a PHP script that polls a table every half a second. This script then returns a value to a client that is doing a reverse-ajax request on the server.

Is there a different technique that can be used, so MySQL doesn't return until there is an update rather than polling for an update.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Wasn't really what I was looking for. It just explains reverse-ajax. What I'm looking is more of a MySQL to PHP push technique. Not PHP to JavaScript.

What my PHP script does is this:

$query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `table` WHERE `time` > ". (int)$_SESSION['last_package_time'] ."");
$rows = mysql_num_rows($query);

while( $rows == 0 )
{
    $query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `table` WHERE `time` > ". (int)$_SESSION['last_package_time'] ."");
    $rows = mysql_num_rows($query);
    set_time_limit(1);
    usleep(250000);
}

echo json_encode(mysql_fetch_assoc($query));

Which as you can see is rather straining on the MySQL server. There's bound to be a way for MySQL to not return a value until the query has a value.

Which as you can see is rather straining on the MySQL server. There's bound to be a way for MySQL to not return a value until the query has a value.

Even if there was (which there isn't) you would still need to query the database to find out (which is actually what you are doing).

It's for a web game. The thing is the game has to be accessible by an API, for cross platform compatibility, so I'm storing everything in a database rather than a cache system.

The web application works like any other typical web system would. It sends data through one Ajax request and gets it through another.

The getting part uses reverse-ajax. So the client doesn't poll the server when there's no need for it. Then the server runs a PHP script that polls the MySQL server for updates which then returns the new values to the HTTP server which then returns data to the client.

I have read up on PostgreSQL and it has listen and notify functionality. Does MySQL not come with the same?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.