MySQL resource usage and process list help

rbc

First, let me say I'm not very knowledgeable in MySQL especially when it comes to resource usage, process lists, ect. and I appreciate any help with this situation. I believe the MySQL version is  - MySQL client version: 5.1.48

I've recently run into a situation with my shared hosting provider regarding my MySQL usage. The page in reference has been up and running for nearly 2 years without issue until two days ago when they claimed it was utilizing excessive resources and putting load on server, making it unstable. Our site traffic and stats have been the same for the last 9 months and probably longer.

They've provide me with some information after dragging it out of them, but my questions are:

1. is this excessive resource usage?

2. why after 2 years would it be an issue all of a sudden?

3. even after the page was disabled for the last 2.5 days the resource usage on MySQL either remained the same or went up, so is the issue really related to my page or something else?

4. what does the process list tell me?

5. what might I do to resolve this issue?

Here's some info they have provided:

CPU: 0.06 %

Memory: 0.17 %

Mysql: 1.2 %

Top Process %CPU 3.0 /usr/php4/bin/php / specific file name

Top Process %CPU 1.5 /usr/php4/bin/php / specific file name

The issue with your account is of high MySQL usage. The average usage of other account is 0.2% of MySQL whereas your account is consuming more than 1%.

Looking into the current mysql process list, we have noticed following threads related to your account:

+---------+------------------+-----------+----------------------+---------+------+-------+------------------+

| Id | User | Host | db | Command | Time | State | Info |

+---------+------------------+-----------+----------------------+---------+------+-------+------------------+

| 4655267 | archpr2_archuser | localhost | archpr2_archproducts | Sleep | 111 | | |

| 4655961 | archpr2_archuser | localhost | archpr2_archproducts | Sleep | 8 | | |

| 4654241 | archpr2_archuser | localhost | archpr2_archproducts | Sleep | 126 | | |

| 4655961 | archpr2_archuser | localhost | archpr2_archproducts | Sleep | 38 | | |

Please make sure that your account is having not more than 2-3 simultaneous mysql connections at a single time and you continue to optimize your connection strings for connection pooling; also make sure that all of the connections are properly terminated after their utilization and no connections are left as "idle-open".

If checked the resource usage over the last seven days and this is what it says for MySQL.

1/21/11 : Number of MySQL procs (average) - 1.19

1/20/11 : Number of MySQL procs (average) - 1.24

1/19/11 : Number of MySQL procs (average) - 1.20

1/18/11 : Number of MySQL procs (average) - 1.18

1/17/11 : Number of MySQL procs (average) - 1.13

1/16/11 : Number of MySQL procs (average) - 1.08

1/15/11 : Number of MySQL procs (average) - 1.09

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.