localhost not working?

How do I know if localhost is working or not?

I think I might have this problem too by reading the posts here, I'm using XAMPP 1.7.3. I don't know what's supposed to happen or what isn't, but when i go to http://localhost it goes straight to the XAMPP interface.

Reason I'm wondering is because I've tried doing a login script from a tutorial (

) but I get "Couldn't connect" with it after putting in correct username and password, and I'm assuming it's localhost that's bugging cause I did everything like in the tutorial. Here's the script for the 2 php files:

<html>

<form action='login.php' method='POST'>
			Username: <input type='text' name ='username'><br>
			Password: <input type='password' name ='password'><br>
			<input type='submit' value='Log in'>

</form>
</html>>

<?php

$username = $_POST['username'];
$password = $_POST['password'];

if ($username&&$password)
{

$connect = mysql_connect("localhost","root","") or die("Couldn't connect");
mysql_select_db("logintest") or die("Couldn't find database");

$query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE username='$username'");

$numrows = mysql_num_rows ($query);

echo $numrows;

}
else
	die("Type in username and password");

?>

I'm a beginner at this, any help would be appreciated :)

Ah so it created a new thread, ok now I know that :P

Sorry, I'm as much of a beginner as possible.

What I mean by not being able to connect I refer to this piece of string in the second script I posted:

$connect = mysql_connect("localhost","root","") or die("Couldn't connect");

No, I actually split the post off of the old thread. People tend to ignore old threads that are dredged up.

While in development, change the MySQL connection code so it returns the actual error instead of a generic 'Couldn't connect" error message.

$connect = mysql_connect("localhost","root","") or die( mysql_error() );

You don't have a password set up for you database server?

Appearantly not, I just pretty much installed it and started with the tutorial...

Well, I have a password for the actual website that I got from my webhotel one.com but not sure if that's the same thing...

Where is srv200.one.com coming from?

you're asking me? :P well I know one.com is the webhotel I'm using, but as for the srv200 part, no clue.

Object not found!

The requested URL was not found on this server. If you entered the URL manually please check your spelling and try again.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 404

localhost

2011-01-22 20:09:30

Apache/2.2.14 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.14 OpenSSL/0.9.8l mod_autoindex_color PHP/5.3.1 mod_apreq2-20090110/2.7.1 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.1

well phpMyAdmin that is... Still having problems connecting through my login script. I set up passwords for XAMPP, MySQL admin user root and PhpMyAdmin, but I'm still getting:

Access denied for user 'root'@'srv200.one.com' (using password: NO)

I restarted MySQL and cleared cache on my internet browers...

You're not trying to connect to your local mysql server (the one that comes with XAMPP).

You're trying to connect to a remote one. (srv200.one.com)

If you want to use one.com's MySQL server, ask them what the password should be. And check that they allow you to access it from a remote address. (Lots only let you use it from their servers)

• 2 months later...

MY localhost not working.am checking my host file it contain

127.0.0.1      localhost

::1            localhost

127.0.0.1      example.oi

127.0.0.1      example.oi

these  lines.I also created virtual hosts for my projects.When am trying to run my localhost it automaticaly redirect to first virtual host.Anybody can help me.I changed my working directory from  c to another drive and  xampp installed also in that directory.All virtual hosts are working but localhost not working please help me

Thanks in advance

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.