Organizing content of multiple arrays

visionaire

I am working on a site with snooker results. Each match is one row in a MySQL table, and somehow needs to contain the breaks (scores) that were made in each match. I am expecting the site to have many users, so I want to find an efficient way to do this.

Let's say a match has 5 breaks in it, 50, 60, 70, 80 and 90. Another match only has 3: 20, 30, 40. I thought of storing them in the database as follows: '20;30;40' and then using PHP Implode to create an array when retrieving them. I want to, however, also be able to make a high break list, which would display 90, 80, 70, 60, 50, 40, 30, 20.

I am however stuck on a way to combine the data from multiple matches and combine them into one list and then sort that list from high to low. Does anyone have any tips for this?

Assuming you have a matches table with an id and match details, then create a breaks table with a break id, related match id and 1 score per row.  So each match would have 1 row in the matches table but multiple rows in the breaks table (1 for each break).

If you want scores for a specific match then:

SELECT * FROM breaks WHERE match_id = 1 ORDER BY break_id ASC

If you want a high break list then:

SELECT * FROM breaks ORDER BY score DESC

By joining with the matches table you can get the match details (date, location, etc.).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.