Creating Website In Photoshop

jamesjmann

Hi,

I'm creating a website for my music, and I wanted to design the layout for my website in photoshop, using the "save for webs & devices. I've been using free layouts online, because my "html approach" with designing sites sucks, and as I want my website to be completely original, I decided to switch over to photoshop. Now my question here is after you slice up the image in photoshop, how do you create the actual website in dreamweaver? Do you have to manually create the div containers for the graphics, or does photoshop do this for you? I'm confused!!!

Sorry, if I posted this in the wrong place. I would imagine this has to do with css, because you use css to customize the website, right?

photoshop doesn't makes divs for you, and i am pretty sure the approach you choose doesn't take use the full functionality of for instnace the z-index of elements with a state other than static. The slicing looks pretty much as the tabluar design used in the old days. Nowadays we can place elements on top of eachother by using a z-index. Google it and it gives you some more space for creativity (transparency etc).

more practical, what i would do is, make a sketch of how your website should be looking, where content should be placed and what the widths are etc. so you have a more clear look on things. After that style every module apart. As if you had a big peice of paper with a background and you can place other small pieces over it. Ones every thing is in the position you like. you can start scripting the css positions.

Hope it helps a bit, if you need help i am happy to help. make sure you read about the  z-index though

I believe photoshop does have an automatic feature to create a webpage from a photoshop file, but you really don't want to use it. It will absolutely position everything and the code is garbage. Best off to slice up the file yourself for the images you need, and then create the HTML by hand.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.