counting rows

RyanSF07

Hello,

Users can create quizzes on this site, and sometimes (often) the quizzes are junk.

I want to learn how to run a query that will automatically disable quizzes with less than 3 questions.

Currently, this query below selects all quiz questions that relate to a particular video_id (the quizzes relate to videos):

SELECT * FROM $table WHERE $table.video_id = '$_SESSION[get]' ORDER BY id ASC",$db

And this query updates determines whether or not to include a quiz on the site:

"UPDATE video SET pass_text = '$_POST[pass_text]' WHERE video.id = '$_SESSION[get]'";

Is it possible to, in a query, count how many instances of video_id=session_get  (which would be the questions themselves) and then SET passtext=disable if there are less than 3 questions?

thank you for your help,

Ryan

Hi Dark,

That's what I'm asking -- how do I do that?  What are the correct terms to google to learn about this?

I don't expect the query, I'm just looking for a push in the right direction.

I want to learn how to count rows and identify quizzes with less that 3 questions, and then, if they do have less than three questions, run a parallel query that UPDATEs that quiz's "pass text" to "disable"--  which will remove it from the site.

thanks!

Thank you.  This works, but not perfectly.  It seems to ignore quizzes with zero questions.  Do I have to specify 0 or less than 4 questions?

SELECT video_id
FROM `quiz`
GROUP BY video_id
HAVING count( question ) <4
ORDER BY video_id ASC
LIMIT 0 , 3000

Also -- ideally I'd be able to scan all "new_quizzes".  This code below freezes the server.  How do I write this so as not to send my server into cardiac arrest?

SELECT *
FROM quiz, video
GROUP BY video_id
HAVING count( question ) <4
AND video.pass_text = 'new_quiz'
ORDER BY video_id ASC
LIMIT 0 , 3000

Thank you very much for your help!

Ryan

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.