Making a webpage generated from MySQL database

jennlaz

I'm currently attempting to create my FIRST database driven website, and have hit a serious snag.

I'm creating a page that syndicates from another site via .csv, which lists inventory for a car dealership. I've generated the first page successfully, where all of the inventory is listed with a brief description (inventory.php), but now I have to figure out a way to make these descriptions link to a page with more info on the vehicle. Since the inventory will be syndicating from another location, I'd like for these pages to be automatically generated.

Now, I am NOT a developer by any stretch of the imagination (front end designer ONLY!), so I'll give an example to try and explain this better.

Lets say I have 2 cars in my inventory - a 2008 Dodge Caliber (Stock Number 001) and a 2004 Toyota Echo (Stock Number 002). I've created the inventory.php page where it shows a brief description of the car and an image, and would like the image and description to link to a page generated by the database ("2008-dodge-caliber-001.php" and "2004-toyota-echo-002.php"). How do I make the database automatically create these pages, and how do I link to them from the inventory.php page?

I know this is a lot to ask, but if someone could provide me with a code snippet and a layman's terms it would be BEYOND appreciated!

Thank you to all who reply!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay, thank you! I got that part figured out!! Now I'm having another issue (I am not by any means a programmer)..

What I did with the parameter was had it send to another page (www.URL.com/page.php?stock=NUMBER). Now I'm trying to have that page display only the data relating to that row of information, using the "SELECT * FROM TABLE1 WHERE STOCK=$stock" (I specified elsewhere that $stock = $_GET['stock'];)..

But now when I use the "where" function it won't display any of my data. I had it working where it would display one row of data when I manually typed in the stock number, but now that's not working anymore. I don't have a great grasp of code, so I'm trying to play it by ear here.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!

I'm no pro by any means either. So I run into the same issues you do. First place to start echo $stock somewhere on the page make sure it is being set.  I have also noticed that with some php vers.

Select * from table1 where stock= '$stock';

If you need php for repeating table let me know

Hope that helps a little one noob to another. Lol

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.