Help with a LEFT JOIN pulling different users

coupe-r

Hi all,

I have a prop_notes table with created_by and updated_by.  Each are set to a users ID.

Here is the query:

$sql  = "SELECT pr.note, pr.updated_on, pr.updated_by, pr.created_on, pr.created_by, u.firstname, u.lastname FROM prop_notes pr ";
$sql .= "LEFT JOIN users u ON pr.created_by = u.user_id ";
$sql .= "WHERE pr.client_id = '".$_SESSION['client_id']."' AND pr.note_id = '".$page_note_id."' AND pr.deleteStatus = '0'";

I am joining on the created_by ID, which only gives me the created_by (firstname, lastname).  I need to be able to grab the firstname/lastname of both the created_by and the updated_by data.

Any ideas on how to make this query work?

Hey, thanks man.

But the prop_notes table has the user_id in the created_by / updated_by fields.  I'm trying to join with the Users table to get the first and last names of each of those users.

Unfortunately, removing the LEFT doesn't work.

Thanks again.

Hi, sorry i misread your problem, was not firing on all cylinders (too early) lol.

You might want to try using a nested select query. But be aware that if you are using a nested query the nested select can only return 1 row. Have a look at the query below and see if this puts you on the right tracks

SELECT pr.note, pr.updated_on, pr.created_on, CONCAT( u.firstname,' ', u.lastname) AS UpdatedBy,
(SELECT CONCAT( u.firstname,' ', u.lastname)  FROM prop_notes pr  JOIN users u ON pr.created_by = u.user_id   ) As createdBy
FROM prop_notes pr 
JOIN users u ON pr.created_by = u.user_id 
WHERE pr.client_id = '".$_SESSION['client_id']."' AND pr.note_id = '".$page_note_id."' AND pr.deleteStatus = '0'

Thanks again.  The SQL you had gave me multiple subquery results, so I added another WHERE clause in the sub query and it works.  Let me know if this is correct.

SELECT pr.note, pr.updated_on, pr.created_on, CONCAT( u.firstname,' ', u.lastname) AS UpdatedBy,
(SELECT CONCAT( u.firstname,' ', u.lastname)  FROM prop_notes pr  JOIN users u ON pr.created_by = u.user_id
WHERE pr.client_id = '1' AND pr.note_id = '28' AND pr.deleteStatus = '0') As createdBy
FROM prop_notes pr
JOIN users u ON pr.created_by = u.user_id
WHERE pr.client_id = '1' AND pr.note_id = '28' AND pr.deleteStatus = '0'

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.