Product Management for Multilingual Website

pets2soul

Dear all,

I'm working on an multilingual website, and would like to seek for some suggestions / opinions over the database structure. The current situation is...we are starting up with 4 languages, about 450 products, more languages may be added in the future. So far we came up with 2 database management ideas:

1. Select products from 1 product description table, each product to have 4 entries, each in a different language.

2. Select prodcuts from 1 product description table, each prodcut to have 1 entry in a preset language, and then match the result with a translation table to display product info (Such as product name, colors, elements...etc) in different languages.

Base on any relevent experience you might have, which option would you suggest? and why? or is there any other way to do it?

Thank you!!

Best Regards,

AJ

Alright, I was given a third option:

3. 1 product description table, each info be inserted in 4 different columns, such as -

columns: id | product_no | product_color_en | product_color_fr | product_color_de | product_color_whatever....

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Dear fenway,

Thanks for the reply.

That was what I figured, however I'm requested to go by the 2nd method - the translation one, and it seems to be the last efficient one. My supervisor was worried that if we go by the duplicate records one, it may overload the MySQL...but personally, I don't think 2000 records (assuming there are 500 products in 4 languages) is too many for a database....well...I don't know~

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.