70 Websites One Pricing Database HELP

Madzz

Hi i have over 30 websites that have surgery prices for different hospitals.

The problem is prices keep on changing, is there a way where all websites get the prices of these hospitals from one database??

Some of the websites are static HTML websites and others are JOOMLA websites...

Please advise....

Thanks in advance

Some of the websites are static HTML

Unless you have a central server generating the HTML files & FTPing them when prices get updated you are a bit screwed.

The best way to do this is to use XML feeds from a central server connected to the main database. Each site should connect to the feed to display the pricing. When prices change all websites will change.

the websites are distributed on 8 different servers so I cant do anything right?

Of course you can.

Are you telling me that you have 70 websites, some static HTML, some using Joomla CMS, and whatever else each with its own independent database (if dynamic)?

If so you will need to think about changing the main structure. If each of these websites needs to be updated when you change the pricing data, this database needs to be on a central server and accessible through a URL i.e http://www.foobar.com/pricing.xml

Each of your satellite websites should use a bit of PHP to read this XML (I would use simpleXML), parse it and display it as formatted HTML, easy.

You will need to update the static websites so they use PHP. You can write a plugin for Joomla (there maybe one already). Any other websites that you have using PHP you will need to add the bit of code for the pricing.

I am stunned if you have to update 70 websites for such a simple modification.

You could do this with normal replication where you would pick one website that would act as a master and all 69 others would be slaves of that master. This of course assumes that:

1) There is only 1 website that edits prices

2) You have full control over the MySQL setup which may not be the case if they are all shared hosted

Otherwise you could pick one website as a host or buy an additional server that will act as the database for all 70 websites. The advantage being that you can buy additional (or use less popular websites to act as a back-up) MySQL servers and add a load balancer.

MySQL Replication

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.