Querying an array

Ganners

I have a table of data which has headings of:

catID and AnswerID

Each catID can have many answers, and those get filtered down and an array gets passed.

So, at the moment I have this select statement:

"SELECT catID FROM $mytable WHERE answerID IN (".implode(',', $answerIDArray).")";

This selects of course every catID which matches an item in the array. But if I have:

catID

AnswerID

I want to, for instace, if I pass an array containing 64 and 72, I want it to return only catID = 6, and if I did an array containing only 64 i'd want it to return 6 and 7.

Does this make any sense? I'm terrible at explaining things. Is this something I could just use php for?

Something I think I could use would be to keep my currect select statement, then print out any catID which which is repeated the count of the array I passed in the first place, but I'm not sure how efficient or logical that is.

Thanks for any help!

I'm not at the top of my game right now, but if I understand, you only want catID if it contains ALL of the answerID's in the list. Right? Try adding a count:

$sql = "SELECT catID FROM $mytable 
WHERE answerID IN (" . implode(',' , $answerIDArray) . ")
GROUP BY catID
HAVING COUNT(answerID) = " . count($answerIDArray);

If mySQL complains, add COUNT(answerID) to the SELECT list as well; but I don't think mySQL requires that.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.