Is this a proper use of "salt"?

rondog

I've never done salting before. Usually just use md5, but the rainbow tables kinda scare me. Anyway, I read up a little on salting and does this look right?..right meaning effective :)

Also, my salt string, is it case sensitive when I crypt it?

<?php
if (isset($_POST['submit']))
{
$salt            = "someStringThatonlYYiWillKnow!";
$username  = stripslashes(mysql_real_escape_string(strtolower($_POST['username'])));
$password  = stripslashes(mysql_real_escape_string(md5($_POST['password'])));
$ePass        = crypt($password,$salt);

$query        = mysql_query("SELECT active,username,password FROM usernames WHERE username = '" . $username . "' AND password = '" . $ePass . "'") or die(mysql_error());
$num          = mysql_num_rows($query);

if ($num == 1)
{
	$result = mysql_fetch_array($query);
	if ($result['active'] == 'yes')
	{
		$_SESSION['user']['username']   = $result['username'];
		$_SESSION['user']['authed']       = true;
		header("Location: main.php");
	}
	else
	{
		$error = "
		<div class=\"notification information\">
			<div>We located your account, however, it has not been activated by an admin yet.</div>
		</div>";
	}
}
else
{
	$error = "
	<div class=\"notification error\">
		<div>Invalid Username / Password.</div>
	</div>";
}
}
?>

You should specify what type of algorithm you are using:

If Sha512 is supported then you'd start your salt with $6$rounds=5000$ where $6$ will tell crypt to use sha512 and rounds=5000$ will tell how many loops crypt should use. For Sha512 you need a 16 character long salt. And preferrably use random salt generation so the salts will always be different. In addition use random loop count too.

When you crypt your password use: crypt($pw, $salt); and insert into your db. When you fetch your password from db use it like this:

if(crypt($user_input, $pw_from_db) === $pw_from_db) { // Passwords match }

Crypt will automatically extract the salt from the crypted password. You should also look into http://www.openwall.com/phpass/ for easy and well implemented password crypting.

Do you realize that you will undo mysql_real_escape_string() by doing this without checking for magic_quotes_gpc()? Also there's no reason to escape a value that will be hashed, and in some cases it can be detrimental to do so.

$username  = stripslashes(mysql_real_escape_string(strtolower($_POST['username'])));
$password  = stripslashes(mysql_real_escape_string(md5($_POST['password'])));

Make it:

if( get_magic_quotes_gpc() ) {
      $username  = mysql_real_escape_string(stripslashes(strtolower($_POST['username'])));
} else {
     $username = mysql_real_escape_string(strtolower($_POST['username']));
}
$password  = md5($_POST['password']);

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.