How Do the Google Estimated Ad Clicks Per Day Get Calculated?

chaseman

I have two search terms:

search term 1 has an estimated number of 165k of global monthly searches in Google's Keyword Tool.

search term 2 has an estimated number of 450k of global monthly searches.

Search term 1 is supposed to provide an estimated daily clicks of 22.

Whereas search term 2 is supposed to provide an estimated daily clicks of 12.

How is this possible, when search term 1 has way less monthly searches than search term 2? How do the daily clicks get calculated?

And to avoid any confusion, I also thought that these calculations are based on the number 1 spot of the Google rankings.(?)

Any ideas?

My guess is somewhere in there there is a distinction between total searches by visitors vs. total searches by unique visitors.  For example, Search Term 2 may have been physically searched for about 450k times but there could have been a lot of people searching the term more than one time, so Search Term 1 could have more unique visitors searching for the term. 

And then they could be basing the estimated daily clicks based on unique visitors making searches, which is more accurate than just basing it off of total searches overall because while someone might search the same phrase more than once at the google level, they are far less likely to click on your link on the SERP more than once. 

I have no idea if that's what's really going on but it makes sense that they would be doing it that way.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.