Database Design

eMonk

Hello everyone!

I'm working on my first php/mysql project and need some guidance how I should structure this database. It will be for a modeling site.

- on the main page a list of cities and provinces for the users to choose from.

- once a city is chosen, a list of models from that area will be displayed in thumbnails.

- once a model is picked from the city list, her bio page will appear with the following info:

- height

- hair

- measurements

- eyes

- description

The main page will also include a search feature and pagination so they can display 15-30-45-etc thumbs at a time. The models can also choose up to 4 cities to be placed it so I would need to have multiple values in the city entry.

Any idea how I can structure this? I was going to put these in 1 table but read that's a bad idea and can't think how I would do this using multiple tables and need some advise. Thanks in advance!

You can't enforce any hard constraint at table-level but you can do that at the application-level. You could use a trigger ON BEFORE INSERT though.

My mind tricked me :)

Just to be clear: you add models to cities like:

INSERT INTO model_in_city (model_id, city_id) VALUES

(1,1), (1,2), (1,3), (1,4);

Places model 1 in cities 1,2,3, and 4.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.