Roadmap to Become a Freelancer PHP Developer?

emjr

Hi All,

I decided to learn PHP and eventually I want to do freelance work with PHP related projects. I'm in the process of learning the basics of PHP from w3schools. I have basic knowledge in other programming languages such as Java and Visual Basic and SQL. I am a fast learner.

Can anyone suggest a roadmap to take to become a successful PHP Freelancer?

Thanks,

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Supply what the market is demanding.  I guess template design and installing opensource cms are doing quite good at the moment.

Make sure you deliver what you promise in the end, and don't sell crap. You can do that only ones.

But i would also buy a good book about php and certainly read about security.

Don't use w3schools.  Look at the link in my signature for why.

You'll need to have some familiarity and comfort with a database.  The one most people use is MySQL.  You should learn OOP if you're going to be working on projects of moderate or larger sizes.  Learn the MVC pattern, and familiarize yourself with the popular frameworks which adhere to the pattern - CodeIgniter, Zend, and/or Kohana.

Get yourself quality resources.  w3schools is passable as a quick refresher for syntax, but no one should use them as their primary learning source.  Good books are worth their weight in gold.

Above all else, remember that the syntax is only part of the equation, and not even the most important part.  If you work on becoming a good programmer, the language(s) you use will be a secondary concern

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.