Tutorials

I am a novice at this game and I have sweated blood and tears to get what I have up and running. It is still lacking but it is a start.

What I needed when I started was:

1. a good editor

2. the best html, css, mySQL, cPanel, php, phpMyAdmin, Firebug and layout/design tutorials. I had never heard of any of them except css when I started.

3. a browser recommendation.

I google everything and I found 1 and 3 ( I was usintg IE7 ) because there are sites that rank and comment on them. But I don't know of a site(s) that ranks or comments on item 2.

Googling item 2 for html and css I was using w3schools because I liked it's presentation. A couple of months into my project and I find this on pfreaks:

http://w3fools.com/

And I have also found on phpf some really good links to items listed in #2. None of them show up in a google search. But the references did not come at the request for a good tutorial. For some reason, some of the guys/girls just don't like to answer that question.

The old pros on here: gizmola, pikachu, cssfreakie, maq ( and others, I just have not interacted with them ) are warehouses of good information. I know that they all have bookmarks on all of this.

This list is useless to me and I think to most novices:

http://www.phpfreaks.com/tutorials

as is the old list cv indexed: www dot crayonviolent dot com slash old_phpf_tuts

What I would like to see is the old pros get together, produce a list, vote on it, of not more than 3 links each to subjects listed in #2 for novices.

I'll probably get some flak on this one.

Well if you want i can write a short and easy to use firebug toturial. But that would be more of a guide, it's a pretty intuitive tool. ones you right click inspect element. When something is new for me i just press all the buttons and see what it does for me.

As far as php, mysql, css, html I can really recommend to invest in a book. Books are structured, and i assume you agree with me that you rather read 700 pages in a book than on your screen. Now after you read such a book, you should have a structured idea on how and what, and after that you can increase the knowledge with other books or on-line articles that go into more detail. Now for CSS there are quite some things like http://www.alistapart.com/topics/design/  and http://www.yourinspirationweb.com/en/ But those tutorials should be added to already known knowledge (from a book).

Trust me it's far more efficient, to read from a structured book, that looking for stuff you don't know exists.

This is my tip, buy a book on the subject read it, apply it and enhance with on-line specific articles. I can really recommend the O'Reilly's Head first series. Fun to read (what?, yes fun to read) loads of examples test puzzles etc.

++ for books.

Tutorials are usually gap-pluggers.  By design they teach how to do a certain thing, and that's it.  They shouldn't be used as your primary learning tool if you're serious about this/doing this for more than hobby reasons.  It doesn't help that a lot of tutorials in general are either outdated or filled with bad information.  JavaScript, in particular, suffers from there being a horde of horrible tutorials floating around on the net.

That said, you're correct in that our tutorial section is currently lacking.  There are plans to remedy the problem.

++ for books.

That said, you're correct in that our tutorial section is currently lacking.  There are plans to remedy the problem.

Glad to hear it. And like I said, the list should come from you pros and be short for each topic.

This is just a hobby for me. I am trying to do this one site for our flying club.

I have run across bad and outdated info in several of the tutorials.

By the way, the link to w3schools fools I found by reading your posts. It is more of this info that I would like to see:

Use this list.

Don't use this list.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.