Some help needed

sadanmasroor

Hello Everyone,

I am facing a problem and hope that you guys are going to be of any help. I am not a newbie but this is the first time ran into a problem like this and did not find a solution to it. Below is the description of the problem I am facing right now :

I am trying to create an authentication page on the project I am working on. Now there are two variables :

$username ;

$password;

I have a database table by the name of members. Now when I run the following sql query it returns empty results:

$sql = "SELECT * FROM members WHERE username = '{$username}' AND password = '{$password}'  LIMIT 1 ";

Now if I run the query below it works just fine :

$sql = "SELECT * FROM members WHERE username LIKE '%{$username}%' AND password LIKE '%{$password}%' LIMIT 1 ";

I am using 5.1.47-community-log as my server. Before posting it here I have checked that there is a table by the name of 'members'  in the the database and there are column names as username and password.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

as mentinoned before I am not a new bie. I am actually a ruby on rails developer as well. The values and trim and sanitized before being entered in the database.

And as far as form is concerned I am facing this problem even in PHPmyadmin not only in form.

I am developing the application on live server and the hosting is with BlueHost.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.