Getting these images to be next to each other!

zachatk1

Hi.

I'm trying to make a horizontal navigation bar on my site. I want it to be centered on the page and all the buttons to be next to each other.

So here's my CSS:

.home {
display: block;
width: 86px;
height: 34px;
background: url('/img/nav/home.gif') bottom;
}

.home:hover {
background: url('/img/nav/home-lit.gif') bottom;
text-align: right;
}

I have a total of 5 of these that I want lined up next to each other horizontally and centered. My HTML is this:

<body>
<div class="main">
  <div class="navigation">
   <center>
    <a class="home" href="/index.php"></a>
    <a class="database" href="/database.php"></a>
    <a class="rankings" href="/rankings.php"></a>
    <a class="contact" href="/contact.php"></a>
    <a class="submit" href="/submit.php"></a>
   </center>
  </div>
</div>
</body>

For some reason the images are vertically stacked and to the left. Any remedy to this?

Well there a few thing wrong with the logic of your code and also something are just wrong.

first don't use <center> it's not cross browser proof, INstead to center something you can wrap it in a container, a div fir instance and use

margin:0 auto;

second, you are using classes for each link, while i am pretty sure you they only exist ones.. so an ID would be a better choice. but than again. why assign id's if you can target the inner elements of div with class navigation by just using

div.navigation a{
  some property here;
}

Also a horizontal menu can be made much cleaner by using an unordered list displayed inline. tutorial can be found here.

and if you want to stick to images have a look here instead of an unordered list have a look here. the same logic/technique can be used.

Hope this helps.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.