Cant start MYSQL. mysql.sock is missing

amir78

I´m using:

- Macbook Pro OS X 10.6.6 Snow Leopard

- PHP 5.3.3

- MYSQL 5.5.9 (mysql-5.5.9-osx10.6-x86_64)

I decided to activate the Apache server, FTP and MYSQL for two weeks ago

I simply followed instruction on how to install :

http://maestric.com/doc/mac/apache_php_mysql_snow_leopard

Later I also installed MAMP 1.9.4

Everything worked very well I could login, creat, modify tabels in MYSQL (PHPmyAdmin)

I was VER happy at that time.

Until I saw a problem, every time I restarted my computer I had to start MYSQL manually from -> System Prefrences -> MYSQL

So I deleted/uninstalled MAMP 1.9.4 and I also deleted uninstalled MYSQL following this instructions:

http://akrabat.com/computing/uninstalling-mysql-on-mac-os-x-leopard/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I have reinstalled MYSQL and it don´t work at all  :(

Now if I go to -> System Preferences -> MYSQL and click start it asks me for password but after that wont start.

If I go to -> Terminal and type: " mysql " I got:

$ mysql

ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

-----

I tried in terminal:

$ touch /tmp/mysql.sock  (it created mysql.sock file but it dont work either.)

-----

I´m new to this, can someone please help me to resolve this problem?

Can I provide any other information that may be useful to locate the error/bug?

I believe you've deleted the installation of MySQL that ships pre-installed with OS X. Have you reinstalled MAMP, or are you trying to get away from using it? If you have MAMP installed, you can (or should be able to, anyhow) start/stop both Apache and MySQL together from the Dashboard widget, or from the CLI with /Applications/MAMP/bin/start.sh or /Applications/MAMP/bin/stop.sh

I try to get away from MAMP.

If I can use PHPmyAdimin then I dont need to use MAMP I think.

----

But when i saw MYSQL is not working so I reinstalled again MAMP. But even MAMP cant start MYSQL.

It only starts Apache but MYSQL is shown with RED light. It never get green now.

MAMP was working earlier, but now nothing works.

I didn´t knew that MYSQL is already pre-installed in OS X.

Maybe you are right about that I have deleted all MYSQL.

How can I check this, should I reinstall OS X from scratch.. Or can I somehow get it back/reinstall?

-----

Thank you soooo much for replay

MySQL started shipping installed (but disabled) starting with OS X 10.5.1, I believe. I've never had to remove or install MySQL on OS X, so I'm probably not going to be a whole lot of help, but here's a blog entry that has some information specifically related to 10.6: http://www.simonwhatley.co.uk/installing-mysql-on-mac-osx-10-6-snow-leopard

YESSSSSS!!

I found the solution  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Now I downloaded the latest MYSQL 5.5.10 and installed it.

I still got the same error.

Then I went to Terminal and wrote:

sudo chown -R mysql /var/lib/mysql

Now it´s up and running  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

----------------------------------------------------

I havent restarted my computer yet, but I belive maybe I didnt needed to install the latest MYSQL to fix this issue.

Maybe I could try:

sudo chown -R mysql /tmp

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.