What can I do to improve?

HCProfessionals

Hello everyone,

First of all, I want to thank all of the programmers on phpfreaks who have gone out of there way to dedicate their time to help or answer any questions I had in the development of this game. If it wasn't for you guys, I would surely be figuring out the basics still and I hope that I can still refer to you guys later on.

I introduce to you GGLegends (www.gglegends.net). Based off of the popular strategy games - Age of Empires & RISK, GGLegends is kind of like a mixture of both - minus all the cool graphics (I am no graphics artist).

I have spent the past 5 months (in my spare time when I get some) developing this web based game. As I own a one man design and hosting company (Northern Host - www.northernhost.net) in a small town, I figured why not put my skills to the test and make a free online game. My intentions are to keep it free and run from either donations or a very small advertisement that doesn't get in the way (not implemented yet, or even in the near future). I don't plan on making any items that are purchasable with real currency to gain an advantage. Basically just enough to help take care of resources like servers and bandwidth - and if I made a pretty penny, I would surely spread it out to those who have helped.

Some things I would like to do some day, but currently greatly exceed my skills are having a game map for locations, ajax forms, guilds, wilderness (player vs. ai) and a better player profile.

There are a couple of regular players that are on everyday, but it just doesn't seem like the game is really going to take off any time soon. I am all out of ideas on what I can do to improve and am welcome to any ideas or suggestions. Also, anyone who like like to take part in any areas of development - whether it be graphics, programming or even just advice, your more than welcome to join :D

Thank you for your time!

Well i like the background image! not sure who made that, but it's pretty good.

Now your menu's are in a complety different style, although I like that style it's a bit weird in combination with the background.

Maybe have a look at http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/  and look at the pallet.

Your forms are nice and clear btw, a well done job!

There are a couple of regular players that are on everyday, but it just doesn't seem like the game is really going to take off any time soon. I am all out of ideas on what I can do to improve and am welcome to any ideas or suggestions.

Just to address this first question, you have to realize that you are not doing enough to entice people to join up and play the game.  At very least you need some screen shots and information about what the game looks like when they actually register.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.