Special Registration Feature

jamesjmann

I just came up with this idea I got for my registration script, where when the user has complete all steps in the registration process, he/she comes to a page that displays this:

<h1>Step 3: Activate your account</h1>
<h2>Congratulations, <strong><?php echo $_SESSION["user"]["username"]; ?></strong>!</h2>
<p>An email has been sent to <strong><?php echo $_SESSION["user"]["email"]; ?></strong> with an activation key, and important information regarding your account. Please check your email to complete registration.</p>

Then this:

$email_client = preg_match ("/[@][a-zA-z0-9]{10}\.com$/", $_SESSION["user"]["email"]);
$email_link = "<a href='http://www." . $email_client . ".com'>Go to " . $email_client . " mail now!</a>";
echo "<p class='center_align'>" . $email_link . "</p>";

Basically, what it does, is it figures out what email provider the user supplied as their email, and generates a link that allows them to go to that website, without having to type it in the address bar (I think I got that idea from facebook lol; only they probably do it differently).

So anyway, It's not complete, and this is where I need someone's help...

I assign a preg_match function to $email_client, so if it finds a string like "@yahoo.com", $email_client will be true, but that's not what I want. I want $email_client to equal a string, such as "yahoo" or "aol" based off of what the preg_match function finds, WITHOUT using if/else statements.

Before I did an if/else statement for every email provider I could think of, but I think it better if I do it this way, as some people have crazy a** email names lol.

So, basically what I want to do is this:

<?php
//Step 1: Check email
preg_match("/[@][a-zA-z0-9]{10}\.com$/", $_SESSION["user"]["email"]);
//Step 2: Somehow assign the "a-zA-z0-9{10}" part to a variable
//Step 3: Generate link with that variable used in the "href" attribute and the label
?>

But I have no idea how to go about this...Help?

You only want the domain ?

echo strstr('something@example.com', '@');
// = @example.com

Yea like i just want the domain (yahoo for example) to be stored AFTER i use a function to find it after the @ sign. So then i can use the variable to disPlay a message with a link to the actual website of that domain.

I just found a solution:

<?php

$get_domain = strstr ($_SESSION["user"]["email"], "@");
	$website = preg_replace ("/@/", "", $get_domain);
	$trim_domain = preg_replace ("/.com|.net|.biz|.info|.org/", "", $website);
	$format_domain = ucwords ($trim_domain);
	$domain = $format_domain;
	$email_link = "<a href='http://www." . $website . "'>Go to " . $domain . " mail now!</a>";
	echo "<p class='center_align'>" . $email_link . "</p>";

?>

The above works MAGNIFICENTLY. Thanks for nudging me in the right direction!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.