How do they know the image is the right one?

3raser

They don't. That said, it's possible they manually check it, or if all images have the same "look" they could scan the image to make sure it's an actual skin image, or ..

I know they don't do it manually.

And how could you scan to make sure it's an actual skin?

This made me curious, so I checked this page: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Skin

So at very least it seems that the skin file has to be 64x32, so that could be one issue, but from there, since they are rendering the skin to a flash movie, it's probably safe to assume that they are looking at the internals of the file.

If you're just experimenting with trying to fool it, try a 64x32 png file and see if it will accept it and process it into something.

This made me curious, so I checked this page: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Skin

So at very least it seems that the skin file has to be 64x32, so that could be one issue, but from there, since they are rendering the skin to a flash movie, it's probably safe to assume that they are looking at the internals of the file.

If you're just experimenting with trying to fool it, try a 64x32 png file and see if it will accept it and process it into something.

Yep, the image uploaded. So I guess they do check for size. I will now implement this on my site, thanks!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.