Trying to minus all rows in 1 colum

brucegre94

If you're doing what I think you're doing, you should set the expiry date to be today's date + 30 days.  Then the account is expired when the current date is after the expiry date.

So date("m/d/y") + 30 ?

There is an easier way. When creating/updating the user's record to set their expiration date you could use something like the following

UPDATE users SET expiration = DATE_ADD(NOW(), INTERVAL 30 DAY) WHERE user_id = $user_id

Now there is no need to update the expiration value each day for all users. When the user accesses the site, determine if the expiration date is after the current date. If so, the user is a premium member. If not, they are a standard member.

If you're doing what I think you're doing, you should set the expiry date to be today's date + 30 days.  Then the account is expired when the current date is after the expiry date.

So date("m/d/y") + 30 ?

There is an easier way. When creating/updating the user's record to set their expiration date you could use something like the following

UPDATE users SET expiration = DATE_ADD(NOW(), INTERVAL 30 DAY) WHERE user_id = $user_id

Now there is no need to update the expiration value each day for all users. When the user accesses the site, determine if the expiration date is after the current date. If so, the user is a premium member. If not, they are a standard member.

so

<?
$con = mysql_connect("$host","$username","$password");
if (!$con)
  {
  die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
  }

mysql_select_db("$db_name", $con);

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM $tbl_name
WHERE myusername='$myusername'");

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
  {
  $premium = $row['premium'];
  echo "";
  }
if ($premium < date(m/d/y){
  echo  'Standard <a href="upgrade.php">'; echo 'Upgrade'; echo '</a>'; echo '</td>';
   } elseif ($premium > date(m/d/y) {
  echo  'Premium'; echo '</td>';
   } else {
   }

mysql_close($con);
?>   

I have been teaching myself php and this is fustrating me.

More like this

$query = "SELECT IF(`premium`>=NOW(), 1, 0) as premium
          FROM $tbl_name
          WHERE myusername='$myusername'";
$result = mysql_query($query);

$row = mysql_fetch_array($result);

if (!$row['premium'])
{
    echo  'Standard <a href="upgrade.php">'; echo 'Upgrade'; echo '</a>'; echo '</td>';
}
else ($premium > date(m/d/y)
{
}

More like this

$query = "SELECT IF(`premium`>=NOW(), 1, 0) as premium
          FROM $tbl_name
          WHERE myusername='$myusername'";
$result = mysql_query($query);

$row = mysql_fetch_array($result);

if (!$row['premium'])
{
}
else ($premium > date(m/d/y)
{
}

Thank you so much. Could you tell me how I would update my database. After they pay me I check the IPN via paypal and send them to a page that changes the value of the experiation date, but I cannot make it add 30 days to the date.

Could you tell me how I would update my database. After they pay me I check the IPN via paypal and send them to a page that changes the value of the experiation date, but I cannot make it add 30 days to the date.

I already gave you an example of the UPDATE query in my first response.

Could you tell me how I would update my database. After they pay me I check the IPN via paypal and send them to a page that changes the value of the experiation date, but I cannot make it add 30 days to the date.

I already gave you an example of the UPDATE query in my first response.

It doesn't add a date. It adds DATE_ADD(NOW(), INTERVAL 30 DAY) to the database.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.