Select where every row on a given date is null mysql

Drew106

I need to have a query that select where every row for a certain column on a given date is null.

I've been trying queries similar to this with no success:

SELECT COUNT(column1) AS tot, DATE_FORMAT(date, '%Y-%m-%d') AS dt FROM lists WHERE column1 IS NULL GROUP BY dt;

I'm new at sql but wouldnt select column1 where datecolumn =Null

if you want the date column there to edit then  select column1,datecolumn where datecolumn =Null

Null is not a string or a int so I dont know if you have to enclose this in "" or ''

I'm pretty sure that COUNT ignores NULLs, so in your original query, try counting the primary key or some other column that is sure to have a value.

SELECT COUNT(ID) AS tot, DATE_FORMAT(date, '%Y-%m-%d') AS dt 
FROM lists WHERE column1 IS NULL GROUP BY dt;

@bepai: You cannot use 'equals' with NULL. You have to use IS NULL.

When I run that query, all dates that have all rows as NULL come up as 0 since it's counting the columns with a value. I need it to spit out those 0s and exclude everything that has a value greater than 0.  I tried using WHERE column1 < 1 but that obviously doesn't work.

I'm not sure I understand. You want to count all rows where column1 is NULL or is equal to zero? If so, you can choose one of these:

FROM lists WHERE column1 IS NULL OR column1 = 0 GROUP BY dt;

FROM lists WHERE IFNULL(column1, 0) = 0 GROUP BY dt;

The first one just checks for either condition. If you are running against a large table, and column1 is indexed, this will probably have better performance than the second one.

The second one just considers a null value to be zero and checks if the value is zero. You should get the same results from both queries, it's just a matter of performance and preference.

If I missed the boat here, then try explaining a little more and maybe show some sample data.

tot, date

0, 2011-03-11

9, 2011-03-14

4, 2011-04-04

0, 2011-04-05

That's a sample of what I get running both my original attempts at the query and your suggested one.  The query I'm trying to get would include 2011-03-11 and 2011-04-05 where tot is 0 but would not show 2011-03-14 or 2011-04-04 where the totals are 9 and 4.

If you are wanting rows where the COUNT is zero, then you need to use a HAVING clause

SELECT COUNT(column1) AS tot, DATE_FORMAT(date, '%Y-%m-%d') AS dt 
FROM lists 
WHERE column1 IS NULL 
GROUP BY dt
HAVING COUNT(column1) = 0; 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.