How do I get my numbers to have this look?

Jeffro

I am wanting to reproduce the look of the little callouts for my numbers (which are counts for topics in my mysql db) and get them looking like this site

Notice the little facebook, twitter and myspace icons with the numbers that (currently) show 1, 0, and 0?  How can I get that little speak out look around my numbers? 

Thanks!

If you're looking to imitate the sharing part, that's what's known as a sharing widget.

http://sharethis.com/publishers/get-sharing-button

There are several different versions out there and I'm sure they could be coded from scratch too, but why re-invent the wheel?

Ah... I didn't realize they were using a widget.  Bummer.  That doesn't help as I'm just trying to surround my db # with the same look.. nothing to do with sharing.  Thanks though. 

Well, without going into too much detail.

First off, this isn't a CSS question unless you already have these values handy.

Secondly, those values can easily be obtained with MySQL calls, the you'd ideally put into a custom function.  For instance,

getCount() {
  $sql = "SELECT * FROM table";
  return mysql_num_rows(mysql_query($sql))
}

something to that effect.

Well, without going into too much detail.

First off, this isn't a CSS question unless you already have these values handy.

Secondly, those values can easily be obtained with MySQL calls, the you'd ideally put into a custom function.  For instance,

getCount() {
  $sql = "SELECT * FROM table";
  return mysql_num_rows(mysql_query($sql))
}

something to that effect.

Yeah.. I have the values.  I have 50 hyperlinked states with the number of mysql entries beside them, such as:

florida 85

texas 97

....just thought it would be cool to make the number (not a hyperlink) have a little more pizazz... and dress it up by putting a box around it.  I've been trying other ways now.  Rather I use span or div though... it keeps line breaking on me.  I even used span and assigned white-space: nowrap; to it, but it still line breaks. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.