PHP / MY SQL project issue

Hi,

We have outsourced our PHP/MYSQL project to a software company.However the software company was unable to deliver the complete project on time.They have agreed to provide the code with partial functionality implemented for partial payment from us.

Now as I am completely new to PHP how would I ensure that the code provided by them is complete(all PHP code and database) and they are not cheating us.

Please explain in detail.

I have following option in my mind, please provide your thoughts for same:

1)I install Dreamweaver on my machine, ask them to provide us complete project file (if there is one in PHP)and open those files in dreamweaver and test the application.

2)Is there any executable file in PHP like there is jar in java?

Please share if you can suggest some other way.Please reply urgently we are in deep trouble

Well we have given the project to them through a freelancing website.We have already made payment as per two milestones achieved.Presently I am testing the web application created by them and I am fine with the code they have implemented.It has few defects but basic functionality is working.

There are other functionalities that still need to be implemented but what we are thinking is to take the partially developed application from them and for the remaining functionality hire our own developer.Since we have to hundreds of dollars we want to make sure that the code delivered by them is proper.

Installing WampServer will install the needed binaries to run PHP. Configuring MySQL (if MySQL was used) database can be done through visiting http://localhost/phpmyadmin (or http://localhost/sqlbuddy if you like this one better) once WampServer is installed successfully.

Launch WampServer and wait for the tray icon to turn green (the one marked with the letter W). Click the tray icon, a menu opens, click Apache, hover Alias directories, click Add an alias. Follow the directions on screen (remember the name you give to your alias).

Access it like http://localhost/alias-name-here/ (trailing slash isn't optional here)

The fact that code "works" doesn't necessarily mean it's safe to use. Have someone that knows what they're doing audit the code.

Thanks for your reply.We understand that code may not be safe to use so we are not moving it to live environment.But currently as we don't have anyone who understand PHP in detail so what is the best possible to ensure that code delivered by them has all proper files (code and database).Once we have all files we will hire developer and work with him.

Already the project has been delayed by one month and we have paid hundred of dollars already and we don't have any option apart from taking partial code.Please suggest the best possible way to handle the situation.

Since we have to hundreds of dollars we want to make sure that the code delivered by them is proper.

How do you know it is proper when you even can't read it? Or don't even know what to look for? How will you hire someone?

Well I am aware of other programming language but not PHP.What I was thinking is to take all code from them and test the website on local host on some editor like dreamweaver.If functionality works fine then I think code will be ok.

For hiring, we have experience of taking interviews:) and we judge candidates by their confidence.Though we keep interview questions and answers with us also  ;)

Dreamweaver will make the website look awful, it's rendering engine pretty much sucks for anything that hasn't been made in it.

I think they have developed the website using dream weaver so I thought we can use the same.Please suggest the best solution to the issue or any other approach we can take.We don't have any other option apart from taking partially developed code.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.