File Uploading

Hi,

I receive an Error code 1 when I try upload a file. Now I know, from php.net/manual/, that this error is thrown when the file size of the uploaded file exceeds the upload_max_filesize directive specified in php.ini. I went over to Webmin -> Others -> PHP Configuration and specified the max upload size to be 10MB (upload_max_filesize = 10M) and changed, for good measure the post_max_size to 10MB as well.

Restarted the server and retried uploading a 2.5MB file, and it still throws an error 1.

Am I missing something?

Okay, under phpinfo() it says local and master values are 2M.

Really don't know why. I have them set to 10M in 3 locations:

/etc/php5/cgi/php.ini

; Maximum allowed size for uploaded files.
; http://php.net/upload-max-filesize
upload_max_filesize = 10M

/etc/php5/cli/php.ini

/etc/php5/apache/php.ini

The only time I have seen it where the correct php.ini is being used and the syntax of the statement is correct (and you have restarted the web server to get any changes made to the master php.ini to take effect, assuming that is the master php.ini and not a local one) but a setting doesn't work is if there is a syntax error earlier in the php.ini file.

Do any changes you make to that php.ini show up in the phpinfo() output? Try putting a setting right at the start of the php.ini to see if it takes effect. Any chance you have edited the php.ini using a Windows program and it got renamed as php.ini.txt?

Could be a permission problem. Perhaps the php.ini file is owned by a different user than the web server is running under and the permissions are not set so that the web server/php can read the file.

Are they are relevant messages in the web server error log file?

Where is this server at? Perhaps the web host knows something as to why the php.ini cannot be read.

In the mean time, you can also put those settings in to a .htaccess file (when php is running as an Apache Module and the web server has been configured to allow settings to be changed in a .htaccess file) or in a local php.ini (when php is running as a GCI application.)

OMW... I should really rather use putty than webmin...

I found my mistake. The php.ini file loaded was in the apache2 folder. Webmin kept loading the apache php.ini file so it never changed.

It reflects what i want it to reflect now so it's good. PFfft, that'll teach me. ::)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.