How Do These Spam Sites Link to My Website?

chaseman

In my CPanel I find a bunch of spam websites linking to my website, which doesn't bother me (as long as Google is not penalizing me for having links from poor websites).

Spam websites like this one:

http://get-myexboyfriendback .com/

(Not going to insert a real link, I don't want to boost them.)

And when I look there, there's no link to my website at all, it's just spam.

So how does this work, are they tricking the CPanel software with bots?

If they do this with 10.000 other websites, and every website owner like myself wonders about the site and clicks on it to see what's up then that spam site will have 10k visitors instantly.

Nice trick.

Usually whenever I've dug through the logs to find the referring page and client that followed it, it comes back to some black-hat SEO technique that some spider followed to my site.  For example, one of the sites had some script or proxy wrapper to post the contents of the DMOZ directory on the page when the client header was Googlebot.  A bot would pick up those links and then link to my site, but when I viewed the referring site in an unaltered browser, none of the links would be there.

When you do find these, a quick note to Google will get them delisted.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.