MySql question

robotninja3

Hello people!

im begginer in this mysql world, and perhaps my question is very basic and easy to solve, but i really can use some help here ...........

my problem: i have a database in wich the data is stored padded with blank space before the text... how can i build my query to get an answer from the server?? example:

CUST_KEY          --> field_name

1                    --> the data with blank space

the data is stored in the database with a number of spaces depending of the lenght of the number typed inside... i just dont know how to make my query welll, i hope anyone here can bring some light to me.

i read something about LTRIM and RTRIM... also LPAD and RPAD .... but i dont know if these functions may help me with this problem.

sorry for the bad english.

Rn

LTRIM removes leading spaces and RTRIM removes trailing spaces. You can also use TRIM which removes both leading and trailing spaces. More information: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/string-functions.html#function_trim

To remove only leading spaces you could do:

SELECT
FROM
table
WHERE
LTRIM(CUST_KEY) = '95447'

It might be faster to add the spaces to the search string instead of removing the spaces from the column depending on if you know how many to add.

Is there a reason for storing the data with leading spaces?

Hello and thank you for the answer, analog.

The reason of the blank spaces in the DB is because the tables are part of a ERP, so the system stores the data of this field with leading and trailing spaces... my app is an external interface to that system, so i must adapt the code to the stored information.

the number of spaces are 4 if the number has one digit, and the spaces decreases as increases the digits of the number stored in the field:

1 -> four spaces

23 -> three spaces

957 -> two of them

12345 -> no space

but i dont know the true reason of this design... maybe the blanks help in the internal report presentation?

i will try your suggest in the night and the i will share the results here, ok?

see you later, analog.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.