A join to handle this situation?

squigs

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out what would be the most appropriate way to handle this situation. I have created a query with the following code which displays my price categories but I want to create an additional query that utilizes the original value of low_price to retrieve data within the specified ranges. Any ideas?

$refinePriceSQL = mysql_query("SELECT *, price_range, COUNT(*) AS numbers
								 FROM (SELECT CASE 
									              WHEN low_price < 100 THEN '$100 or less'
									              WHEN low_price >= 100 AND low_price <= 150 THEN '$100-$150'  
									              WHEN low_price >= 150 AND low_price <= 200 THEN '$150-$200'
                                                      WHEN low_price >= 200 AND low_price <= 250 THEN '$200-$250'
                                                      WHEN low_price >= 250 AND low_price <= 300 THEN '$250-$300'
                                                      WHEN low_price >= 300 AND low_price <= 350 THEN '$300-$350'
                                                      WHEN low_price >= 350 AND low_price <= 400 THEN '$350-$400'
                                                      WHEN low_price >= 400 AND low_price <= 450 THEN '$400-$450'
												  ELSE 'Over $500'
                                                      END as price_range
                                                      FROM inventory
                                    WHERE 1 AND $searchClause) b
                                    GROUP BY price_range
								ORDER BY price_range");	

Sorry, confusingly put because it's confusing me I suppose. I'll try to elaborate a little:

The code above would output my price range for example diaplaying something like:

$100-$150(7)

$150-$200(12)

etc...

What I'm doing with those query results is turn them into hyperlinks which pass the data through the URL so I can call it back to another query which will filter all else out. So where I am running into trouble is when I pass the exact string e.g.$100-$150 to the URL I can use that variable in my new query but in my DB the actual prices are stored in the column I have been working with called low_price which is decimal.

I would like to use something like this as a query:

FWI $cost = the data passed along the URL

("SELECT * 
	                    FROM inventory  
		    WHERE $searchClause $brandClause AND low_price = '$cost'");	

And obviously this does not work for a number of reasons:

a) low_price would equal something like 100.00 not $100-$150.

b)the cloumn low_price is renamed in the original query to price_range.

c)unless using a join I would somehow have to build a query within the existing loop which I haven't been successful with.

Thus my wondering would a join be helpful for this.

I hope that this post sort of clarifies what I intend to do and someone can come up with some help for me.

Cheers

You don't need to pass the pretty string and use it in your query -- just have your URL include low & high values, and search those.

Which brings me to my original question, I have different price ranges being listed in a "pretty string" which is what I want, but from within that loop how do I just pass the original value (a plain decimal number or low_price as example) which would allow me to use itto further my search.

No that wasn't the question but you did give some helpful insight in stating  "just have your URL include low & high values, and search those."

I was trying to do this but it took a while to figure out how. I adjusted the query from my original post to contain two more CASES and now it reads like this.

$refinePriceSQL = mysql_query("SELECT *, price_range, COUNT(*) AS numbers
								 FROM (SELECT     CASE
									              WHEN low_price < 100 THEN '100'
									              WHEN low_price >= 100 AND low_price <= 150 THEN '150'  
									              WHEN low_price >= 150 AND low_price <= 200 THEN '200'
                                                      WHEN low_price >= 200 AND low_price <= 250 THEN '250'
                                                      WHEN low_price >= 250 AND low_price <= 300 THEN '300'
                                                      WHEN low_price >= 300 AND low_price <= 350 THEN '350'
                                                      WHEN low_price >= 350 AND low_price <= 400 THEN '400'
                                                      WHEN low_price >= 400 AND low_price <= 450 THEN '450'
												  ELSE '500'
												  END as high_range,
												  CASE
									              WHEN low_price < 100 THEN '0'
									              WHEN low_price >= 100 AND low_price <= 150 THEN '100'  
									              WHEN low_price >= 150 AND low_price <= 200 THEN '150'
                                                      WHEN low_price >= 200 AND low_price <= 250 THEN '200'
                                                      WHEN low_price >= 250 AND low_price <= 300 THEN '250'
                                                      WHEN low_price >= 300 AND low_price <= 350 THEN '300'
                                                      WHEN low_price >= 350 AND low_price <= 400 THEN '350'
                                                      WHEN low_price >= 400 AND low_price <= 450 THEN '400'
												  ELSE '450'
												  END as low_range,
									              CASE 
									              WHEN low_price < 100 THEN '$100 or less'
									              WHEN low_price >= 100 AND low_price <= 150 THEN '$100-$150'  
									              WHEN low_price >= 150 AND low_price <= 200 THEN '$150-$200'
                                                      WHEN low_price >= 200 AND low_price <= 250 THEN '$200-$250'
                                                      WHEN low_price >= 250 AND low_price <= 300 THEN '$250-$300'
                                                      WHEN low_price >= 300 AND low_price <= 350 THEN '$300-$350'
                                                      WHEN low_price >= 350 AND low_price <= 400 THEN '$350-$400'
                                                      WHEN low_price >= 400 AND low_price <= 450 THEN '$400-$450'
												  ELSE 'Over $500'
                                                      END as price_range
                                                      FROM inventory
                                    WHERE 1 AND $searchClause $brandClause $catClause) b
                                    GROUP BY price_range
								ORDER BY price_range");	

This allowed me two more fields to play with "high_range and low_range" to create the data to pass via the URL.

Thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.