Group By

georgerobbo

I'm currently trying to get a list of all the students and when they last logged in. When a user is authenticated, a session is created and stored in the Sessions table. The primary key is a SHA1 hash of the time they logged in, their internet protocol address and username.

In my query, I only want to get the latest Session in the join. I can't seem to achieve this with GROUP BY. How do I go about doing this? At the moment I'm getting duplicate results.

SELECT Users.UserID, Users.Firstname, Users.Surname, Sessions.SessionID, Sessions.IPv4, Sessions.LoginStamp, Sessions.LastActivity FROM Users JOIN Students ON Students.UserID = Users.UserID LEFT JOIN SessionsUsers ON SessionsUsers.UserID = Users.UserID LEFT JOIN Sessions ON Sessions.SessionID = SessionsUsers.SessionID ORDER BY Sessions.LastActivity DESC, Users.Surname ASC

Users

-----------

UserID

Firstname

Surname

Hash

Students

-----------

UserID

House

LeavingYear

SessionsUsers

------------------

UserID

SessionID

Sessions

-----------

SessionID

Ipv4

LoginStamp

ExpireStamp

LastActivity

I have highlighted the duplicate. How do I group by the last Session. (Effectively ordering by the latest LoginStamp).

Thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.