MySQL Select Count randomly became slow..

Tonic-_-

For the past month my setup has been going just fine and haven't had any issues out of MySQL... I upgraded the CPU's recently to something a tiny bit more powerful and since then i've had nothing but problems...

SELECT Count has just randomly became very very slow. The table I am using count on is around 6.4GB's big with around 60 million entries. As I said didn't have a problem till I swapped the CPU's out for something a bit higher up. The tables storage engines is MyISAM with a few indexes. But the slowness doesn't just effect this it can also effect another table at times that is 3 million entries but it's not AS slow as the primary one.

My my.cnf

[mysqld]
socket = /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

max_allowed_packet=64MB
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
safe-show-database
old_passwords
max_connections = 2000
key_buffer = 1024M
myisam_sort_buffer_size = 150M
join_buffer_size = 2M
read_buffer_size = 2M
sort_buffer_size = 2M
table_cache = 2048
thread_cache_size = 50
interactive_timeout = 60
wait_timeout = 30
connect_timeout = 10
tmp_table_size = 200M
max_heap_table_size = 200M
max_connect_errors = 10
read_rnd_buffer_size = 4M
query_cache_limit = 120M
query_cache_size = 900M
query_cache_type = 1
default-storage-engine = MyISAM

log_slow_queries=/var/log/mysqld.slow.log
long_query_time=2
key_buffer=64M
sort_buffer=64M
read_buffer=16M
#write_buffer=16M

query_prealloc_size = 65536
query_alloc_block_size = 131072
max_heap_table_size = 256M

Has anyone ever ran into something similar to this? Or know of any way to fix this? I don't see why the CPU upgrade would cause this, haven't changed anything software configuration wise just hardware :\

First step in trouble shooting --  What have you changed????  Can you change it back???? 

The CPU is probably over heating  (You hope)  Did you use heat sink compound on it ? Did you made sure the heat sink is making good contact?

I'd check those things first. There is a program that monitors cpu temp (I think it measures current input?) use it to take a look.

lol I don't think that's the problem... I have a dedicated server in Dallas Texas.

Dual Xeon E5620

12GB of ram

2 x 250GB RE4 HDD's

I've tried various tuning options and still can't seem to get MySQL to perform faster when doing queries that select a large amount of rows, I've tried running optimize on the table to defragment it and that doesn't do any good, i've tried loading the indexes into the cache, still doesn't help.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.