Can I change the HTML directory pointer?

MrCat

I'm entering my site via a sub folder, e.g. mysite.com/BeginHere (which triggers index.php in the BeginHere folder) and then including my main page which is in the root folder. I change the directory pointer with chdir( '../' ) so now I'm officially back in the root folder.

This works fine - but the HTML still points to one directory down. Is there any way I can move this up one level as well?

im not quite sure i follow what you are saying.

does beginhere/index.php, have an include folder thats located up one level? or does it redirect instead of include?

the html points to one directory down - i have no idea what this means!

PHP and HTML are independent of each other.

PHP is code processed server-side. HTML is markup that is rendered on the client's computer.

I think you want something similar to <base /> but for images. I don't think it exists.

You COULD automate this with PHP, I suppose.

To try and clarify what I mean:

I don't want my 'secret' site to exist through mysite.com

I also want user accounts that are accessed simply by typing mysite.com/Username

The index.php in mysite.com/Username doesn't redirect - it changes the PHP directory pointer up one level and then includes the 'main page' file which is in mysite.com

Changing the directory pointer is simply so I don't have to start all subsequent links with ../ to reach files common to all accounts - mysite.com/images etc.

The HTML directory however remains as mysite.com/Username so all links in HTML have to begin with ../

Thanks guys - the <base href> tag appears to be the solution I was looking for.

Sorry I missed your suggestion xyph. I'd never heard of it and had to research it.

All I was trying to do was to avoid ../ on every link if I enter my site at a level other than the root directory.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.