Do People on Here Have Websites Which Generate Some $$$ ?

chaseman

I have a few "autoblogs" targeted at "niche" markets that are making some money. Although the return, thus far, has hardly been worth the initial work involved (keyword research, design, development - I hate WP and it's autoblog). I guess I could package the app and sell it but I am lazy and don't really care.

Some of my facebook apps also make a little money from advertisements and my personal blog makes a whopping ~$12/month from google adsense. Overall the money brought in from in all of them combined is not all that impressive in my opinion.

I definitely agree to this, though I personally would sum it up in the sentence "Offer something that the others don't and do a better job than them".

Kinda sidetracking and nitpicking here...but if you are offering something that others don't offer, doesn't it go without saying that you are doing a better job than them at it? I mean, if you are the only one offering something, you are by default the one offering the best of it.

Here's my opinion on websites and making money.

If you don't provide a product to sell or a paid service your gonna end up spending more than you make and waste your time.

I've had quite a few sites in the past that generated an income, but nothing people would quit their jobs for.

My one site had over 10,000 unique visitors daily and just barely covered my server costs. I tried multiple ad companies and other methods, ads just do not make money as they used to. With ad blockers such as adblock, popup blockers, few ads get through to people.

I have many friends that have movie,tv sites, even video hosts, if they could barely get by with those then what does that tell you.

That mention of the screwdriver site and generate hundreds a month would never happen.

Well anyway....I do agree html5 templates could be profitable for you. Creating out of the box html5 websites even better.

The problem with wordpress themes is wordpress code changes way too often which means you will have to keep editing your themes. Blah. Plus people are cheap, there are way too many free themes available for them to use instead.

When webgl finally becomes standard there with be many more new opportunities as well.

WebGL is based on OpenGL ES 2.0 and provides an API for 3D graphics. It uses the HTML5 canvas element and is accessed using Document Object Model interfaces. Automatic memory management is provided as part of the JavaScript language.

I'm thinking a virtual world myself, providing I can stream content more efficiently than today's current standards.

I feel you have to want to do a website because you want to, and if you can also profit from it that's even better. It may actually generate the income you expect one day if put lots of time and effort into it.

I definitely agree to this, though I personally would sum it up in the sentence "Offer something that the others don't and do a better job than them".

Kinda sidetracking and nitpicking here...but if you are offering something that others don't offer, doesn't it go without saying that you are doing a better job than them at it? I mean, if you are the only one offering something, you are by default the one offering the best of it.

One thing does not go hand in hand with the other, only because you're offering something which the others don't does not mean you're better off, people may not need, want, or even hate the unique feature you're offering. That special something you're offering must be a killer feature which will make people switch sides.

You can as well implement something that has been around for awhile and market it as an innovation like Apple. =D

One thing does not go hand in hand with the other, only because you're offering something which the others don't does not mean you're better off, people may not need, want, or even hate the unique feature you're offering. That special something you're offering must be a killer feature which will make people switch sides.

Right.  You can offer something that is complete crap, but that's not really the point.  Whether you make $1 or $1,000,000 off it, you're still doing better than everybody else making $0 off it, because they are not doing it at all.

You can as well implement something that has been around for awhile and market it as an innovation like Apple. =D

This is true as well, however, this doesn't fall under the "Offer something that the others don't" category.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.