Beginning the php journey

Johnnyboy123

Hey guys. Well I'm studying php and some other languages at the moment. The college I'm at is pathetic to say the least and to be honest I doubt I'm going to learn much through it, even though it is a web development course. I am trying to further myself as much as possible with self studying. I have 2 questions.

1. If you enter a job as a basic php developer. What are the basics that you would be able to do? Like what are common expectations that today's companies have for junior php developers in order to hire them?

2. What self study websites would you recommend? I am also looking for a good self study site that can teach me the fundamentals of database theory, their different relations and sql etc. As I did a short course on php before knowing any database theory, it was rather difficult for me haha.

I just really need to figure out a way to become a decent php developer in today's world and as I mentioned the college I am at is a total rip and  honestly I don't think anyone in my class, including myself, will be able to get a job if we only rely on what we we're taught at that shit hole.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

I'm no expert to give advice but something I've figured out for myself is, that the best problem solvers are the ones who abstract and generalize.

Instead of saying "how do I measure the visitor count", say "how do I measure the popularity?"

Why is this important? Because there are multiple ways to reach your goals, and if you think in such detailed ways you're limiting the choices of ways to your goal.

Counting the visitors is not the only way to measure how popular a site is, you can as well count the number of comments all articles have combined, or you could as well take ratings into account, you get the point.

What I try to do is, when I know I need to get to a point, I take a step back, abstract as much as I can and try to find general terms.

It's an essential skill which I often see in the best problem solvers, notice that I say "problem solver" since this does not just apply to coding, but it applies to all areas of life.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.