MySQL administration via remote access

Hobbyist_PHPer

MySQL Version --> 5.0.76-standard

Hi everyone, I have a situation which I'm sure can't be that uncommon, but here it is... I have a front end web server where I run "Software as a Service" application, which utilizes a backend MySQL server... For security reasons, I don't have any other services running on the MySQL server, other than MySQL...

I have a private network between the 2 servers, the front end server is 192.168.1.2 and the MySQL server is 192.168.1.3

The way my Software as a Service application operates is that each client has their own database and their own database user, so each time that a client signs up, the way that I currently have to go about setting them up is to SSH in and perform the following commands:

mysql> create database attorney_thedatabasename;

mysql> grant all privileges on attorney_thedatabasename.* to attorney_thedatabasename@192.168.1.2 identified by "thepassword";

mysql> use attorney_thedatabasename;

mysql> source acsdumpfile.sql;

mysql> INSERT INTO `Users` (`UserID`, `UserName`, `UserPassword`, `UserEmail`, `UserFirstName`, `UserLastName`, `UserType`, `UserPermissionAdd`, 

`UserPermissionEdit`, `UserPermissionDelete`, `UserPermissionAdministrate`, `UserDirectory`, `UserDatabase`, `UsersCustomerID`) VALUES
(6, 'Admin', '014605b3bc77b3077b3ebd31a9917e34', 'Admin', '', '', '', 0, 0, 0, 1, 'thedatabasename', 'thedatabasename', thecustomerid);

It's not that, that is such a horrible thing, but I would much prefer a graphical interface, especially being able to see the databases, users and tables... So I was wondering, does anyone know of a GUI that I can install on my front end server, that will perform the above mentioned necessities, via remote access?

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is an older post, but I still use the old GUI Tools that they don't make available since 5.5.  They work fine with the 5.5, but it was intended to be used with 5.0 GA.

You can still download it at http://download.softagency.net/mysql/Downloads/MySQLGUITools/

I've been using mysql-gui-tools-5.0-r10-win32.msi, but I see at the above link that they have an r12 version available there.  YMMV  :shrug:

This gives you an easy-to-use gui for all administration tasks on the SQL, including assigning user rights to specific tables in all your databases, and has a backup/restore option.  (This is not compatible with mysqldump, so it can't be used to restore any backups made with mysqldump.)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.