Creating queries with a MySQL front-end

prophecym

Hello everyone,

First of all, I am still learning php/mysql all by myself with documentations all over the internet. So i may not know what i am talking about. All i know i need some help. Here is my problem:

I have a database already in mysql with all the relations created. I have some doubts about my boolean and datetime fields whether i did them right or wrong. But that is another matter. I need my users to be able to create the reports they would need with a user friendly front-end, but i don't know how to run or create the queries they need. So the database is kind of hanging in the air without any good use for my users. On top of that, I need an user administration tool to create users and restrict their rights, for example they would only add and edit data but wouldn't delete anything etc...

I am using localhost server on phpmyadmin with Windows 7 64-bit operating system.

edit: I did a search throughout the forum, but i couldn't find anything related to my issue.

Running "reports" should be the job of a custom PHP script -- assuming you're not letting users write raw SQL queries (which you shouldn't be).

"user administration" pertains to your application, and likely doesn't overlap with mysql users.

I want my users to use simple forms to add/edit the data. Then, I would need the queries to show the data between the related tables. Users should be able to lookup those values using the forms. And i am not sure how to do this with custom script.

Well, since you're the one defining these relationships, you're the only one who knows how to look them up.  Same goes for add / edit operations.

I understand, but the problem is i don't know how to do it. Like i said, i am pretty amateur on php/mysql. I am not asking anyone to tell me step-by-step instructions, but if anything i can look at as far as documents or manuals online, or even ready to go scripts, that would help.

Let me ask you this then. You have a database which has about 15 tables in it. The fields are already relation created. This database is in mysql. You want to set up this database where you and some users can add/edit/delete.... data using simple forms. At the same time, you want to look up values all around the database, for example, you want 3-4 fields from contacts table, 2-3 fields from companies table and x number of fields from customers table. How would you do it? What would your next step be? 

as fenway told you... your questions are too general, hard to tell you exactly what to do or how to proceed.

You said that you are just learning, therefore for you probably is no going to be easy to develop something in a short time... sure you can lean and work you way to finish with something usable, but the learning curve could be no good for your and/or your users objectives.... if you have plenty of time start reading some good books or tutorial on line (hundred if your google for it), write some code and come back whit what you have done and your doubts, more likely somebody will help you.

Now, if you don't have the time and need to produce something workable soon your best bet is hire some programmer and work with him/her in your project, whichever the route that you choose... good luck .

BTW.: if you want you can post your tables, a description of your project and ask for guidance (specific doubts) that help you to better deal and understand your options.

I'll go further -- if you don't know where to start, and you want this done is any reasonable amount of time, there are literally dozens of shrink-wrapped, open-sourced tools to do this -- and I'm sure many can recommend specific ones.

If you're asking for purely theoretical reasons, we can continue to go back & forth and discuss at will.

In more practical terms, start out with something crazy simple, manually enter your limited user base, and hard-code the queries they can performed. Sure, a few checkboxes and input fields will help, but don't built anything dynamic right now.  Get it working, and customize from there.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.