mod rewrite issue with Go Daddy - cannot get my site up

Perry Mason

For some reason 000webhost canceled my account without an explanation. I moved to paid hosting with Go Daddy and restored all the files and databases. There is a glitch with .htaccess however, I cannot get it to work. mod rewrite worked fine on 000webhost. I did not change the file. It is in the same directory as other files. I contacted Go Daddy and, according to them,

Mod_rewrite is an Apache Web server module installed on all of our Linux servers by default; it does not have to be installed or enabled. Our Linux hosting accounts support most mod_rewrite functions. Because enabling mod_rewrite is handled at a global level, you do not need to enable it in your httpd.conf file. You only need to add the desired code to the body of your .htaccess file. Our environment uses the vendor-provided code from Apache for mod_rewrite. Current Apache HTTPD documentation is accurate with regard to how to use .htaccess files.

I do not want to change all the links on my sites to dirty URLs because, firstly, it's a lot of work, and secondly, I don't want it to affect my search engine ranking. My sites have been officially online but not fully functional (unless you manually type in the dirty url) for three days now and it's bugging the hell out of me.

Here's a portion of the code of my .htaccess file:

Options +FollowSymLinks
Options +Indexes
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /

rewritecond %{HTTP_HOST} ^soft-tissue\.com$ [NC]
rewriterule ^(.*)$ http://www.soft-tissue.com/$1 [R=301]

rewriterule ^home$ /home/ [R]
rewriterule ^home/$ /index.php

rewriterule ^contact$ /contact/ [R]
rewriterule ^contact/$ /contact.php

rewriterule ^about$ /about/ [R]
rewriterule ^about/$ /about.php

Strangest of all, the first two rules seem to work fine (non-www to www redirect, and the index.php page redirect. The rest of the redirects do not function and I keep receiving the 404 error message. Same exact story with my other side which also just got moved to Go Daddy.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.