Problem with constructor

chopps

Hello All,

I have been having a problem recently with a constructor function that is responsible for encrypting the password every time a user logs in or creates a new account.  I am using PHP OOP and the constructor function belongs to the user class.  I have included the snippet below:

function __construct($encrypt_pass) {

$this->password = sha1($encrypt_pass);

}

I have the following code in the head of my register form which calls the create function once everything has been verified:

<?php

if ((isset($_POST['register'])) && ($_POST['email']) == ($_POST['email_verify'])) {

$username = trim($_POST['username']);

$password = trim($_POST['password']);

$email = trim($_POST['email']);

$first_name = trim($_POST['first_name']);

$last_name = trim($_POST['last_name']);

$create_new_user = new User($password);

$create_new_user->username;

$create_new_user->password;

$create_new_user->email;

$create_new_user->first_name;

$create_new_user->last_name;

$create_new_user->create();

$message = "Please check you inbox and follow the instructions to verify your account; Otherwise it will be deleted after seven days.";

} elseif ((isset($_POST['register'])) && ($_POST['email']) != ($_POST['email_verify'])) {

$message = "The email addresses did not match! Please enter them again.";

} else {

$username = "";

$password = "";

$email = "";

$email_verify = "";

$first_name = "";

$last_name = "";

}

?>

I'm not sure if I'm using the constructor correctly or not.  When I instantiate the object it will give me an error unless I pass in the $password variable,  $create_new_user = new User($password);, but every time I do it fails to input the other fields into the database.  I know the create function is working correctly because I commented out the constructor and removed the $password variable from the initial object call and everything worked fine.  Please let me know what I am doing wrong.  Any help would be very much appreciated.

Your __construct() and call to instantiate the object looks fine, you are however not setting any of the other properties. eh; This.....

$create_new_user->username;
$create_new_user->password;
$create_new_user->email;
$create_new_user->first_name;
$create_new_user->last_name;

does nothing.

Oh, lol! Good catch.  Strange that it worked when I commented out the constructor though.  I set the properties equal to the variables declared earlier and it worked perfectly.  Thanks for the quick reply. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.