Ipad owners...

spiderwell

hey peeps

my mate has a ipod, and is looking to get an ipad, and i was telling him to get a 16gb one to save money and buy an external hard drive and link the two so he can get lots of downloads on the external drive.

I just found out that ipads dont have usb ports! Does anyone here have experience with ipads and know if you can link them to a hard drive or has Steve  Jobs(worth) made them purely mac dependent ergo my idea is not going to work? Would you need a mac as a central device? I don't really have a clue on mac stuff.

thanks

You cannot connect external storage devices to an ipad. However you can transfer files to/from the ipad using wifi or bluetooth explained here

http://store.apple.com/uk/question/answers/product/MC533D/A?pqid=QX4PJJYXUYCDH4KKT7JAUFHA4D792PF9X

Ipad is compatible with PC and Macs.

EDIT Maybe I am wrong. There is the HyperDrive http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-iPad-Hard-Drive-s/183.htm

yeah this is what I thought was going to be the case, I think I'll advise him to get a bigger memory one though as hes not at all computer orientated, and doesn't even have a pc or mac!

shame as plugging in a hard drive/memory stick would have been brilliant, but guess thats why they designed it with 3 memory sizes, maximise the product profit and all that

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.