Is it possible for mysql fields to be operations?

ojef1

For example, if I had 7 columns for the amount of sales made for each day of the week, could I have another column that sums the total sales of the whole week (if the figures change frequently) rather than doing the calculations manually?

Is there a way to do this within the mysql database rather than through php code?

thanks

I don't have a problem doing it within the php code, I just want some fields within my tables to update automatically without relying on the user to click on their account for all the calculations and updates to occur (which is how I have it now).

If there is a way to include a file or something that ran automatically, that would work too. I just don't know how to run any sort of commands on the databases without waiting for a page to load and process the information.

You wouldn't have a separate column for each day of a week (that's referred to as spreadsheet design and makes using a database extremely difficult.)

You would use a separate row for each date and then simply execute a query that sums the values for any range of dates that you specify.

Let me rephrase what I posted above - you would have a separate row for each piece of data (you could have more than one for any particulate date or none for any particular date) and then simply execute a query that sums the values for any range of dates that you specify

I thought Mysql was meant to be treated like a database or spreadsheet. It sounds like you're saying I should have a lot more smaller tables rather than a few big tables. I'm not having any problem running the query's that update the tables, I just want those query's to be executed automatically, rather than only when a user loads the particular page that executes these query's and performs the operations to the data in order to display information.

Maybe this will make my question more clear

If i had a table of this structure...

Week

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

$400

$350

$200

$500

$120

$350

$450

$500

$800

$1400

and wanted to add an additional column for "Total Sales for Week", is there any way I could make that column update automatically like you can in excel (SUM(...))?

and wanted to add an additional column for "Total Sales for Week", is there any way I could make that column update automatically like you can in excel (SUM(...))?

short answer for your specific question... NO

Maybe this will make my question more clear

If i had a table of this structure...

Week

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

$400

$350

$200

$500

$120

$350

$450

$500

$800

$1400

your question was clear from the beginning, and you got 2 very good answers... Pikachu was very clear answering you this:

I thought Mysql was meant to be treated like a database or spreadsheet

and there is your big conceptual design mistake.... a relational DB is not a spreadsheet.. PFMAbisMad gave you a suggestion regarding which could be a better way to design your table.  Storing calculated fields in a table (also knows as dependent fields) is not a good practice/modeling technic ... you can always use any aggregate function to produce those values at display time (assuming that your table has been designed correctly).

Let me rephrase what I posted above - you would have a separate row for each piece of data (you could have more than one for any particulate date or none for any particular date) and then simply execute a query that sums the values for any range of dates that you specify

So what would be the best way to structure something like this then? I understand the points you all have made but I don't exactly know how to put them into practice.... How many columns should I have and how many tables should I have???

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.