pivot table/inner join

raytri

I've been reading up on ways to turn columns into rows, but I'm just not able to turn it into working code.

I have a table with data that looks like this:

Account

Month

Transactions

May 2009

June 2009

May 2009

June 2009

July 2009

June 2009

Yes, I know this should be broken up into related tables. But this is what I have to work with.

I want to pull a report that displays the data so there is one line per account, and a column for each distinct month in the database, like so:

Account

May 2009

June 2009

July 2009

There are a lot of months, so I'd like the query to identify each distinct month, rather than me hardcoding it into the query.

I've looked at pivot tables, inner joins, etc., but I'm just not grokking what I need to do to break out the months into columns.

Hmm. The link helped me get the query to work, but only by manually plugging in a SUM(IF()) statement for each month:

SELECT Account, 
SUM(IF(`Period Ending`='2009-12-31',`No_ Trans`,0)) As Dec09, 
SUM(IF(`Period Ending`='2010-01-31',`No_ Trans`,0)) As Jan10, 
SUM(IF(`Period Ending`='2010-03-31',`No_ Trans`,0)) As Mar10
FROM Merchant GROUP BY Account

There are quite a few months, with another being added every month. So is there a way to have the query do this dynamically? (create a column for each month in the table, and have each row show the number of transactions for that account in each month).

So is there a way to have the query do this dynamically? (create a column for each month in the table...

that is why I pointed you first to page 5.... there is an example showing how to do that... the example use Perl... but the important thing are the concepts about how to build the query dynamically ... page 4 shows how to use CONCAT to build part of the query.... you can develop the same concept in PHP or in whatever you feel comfortable.

I tried the CONCAT approach, but couldn't get it to work.

Again, I'm trying to do this totally in MySQL, without reference to PHP or anything like that. I want to be able to do this in direct queries against the database, not have to run it through a server-side script.

the fact that the final query has a variable (dynamic) number of fields to be selected (the sum by month)  make no possible (imho) to build it using only direct queries... you must build the final query in some way... either manually or with some kind of programming... other alternatives to do this using only Mysql resources is use Stored Procedures or Functions

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.