dynamic page & URL

Who8MyFish

So I have been avoiding this for some time but it seems I can dodge this no longer haha. I need to be able to create pages dynamically and give each page it's own URL. I'm not really looking for a lesson here but if someone could point me in the direction of some reading materials or at least tell me what i should be looking for I could probably find them myself.

Let me explain...

So I built a site for a chain of antique malls in the mid west. I built a page for managers and vendors so they could easily upload images and post items they are trying to sell to the companies web site.

I use a SQL database and a WHILE LOOP to display the contents of the database on the main page and am currently trying to incorporate a Facebook "like" button for each and every item on the page.

Currently every item listed in the database is displayed on Shopping.php

I need the server to be able to create a page with a unique address for each item in the database so that the "like" buttons don't all link back to the Shopping.php page.

What I am imagining is something like "/Shopping.php?item=0001" that will link to a page dedicated to that one single item.

Thanks for your time.

The easiest way to do it is to fill a template with the data retrieved by the server.  That's how the pros do it.  Stores like Amazon don't have individual pages for each item they sell.  Rather, they have a generic template which they fill with a particular item's info.

shopping.php?item=0001 should essentially be something along the lines of (most general psuedo-code possible):

if isset($_GET['item']))
{
   // query database for item based on the GET value passed in.
   // include item template, which will anticipate and display that info
}

That said, you'd probably be better off using a MVC framework for this, which would help automate and organize the process for you while making everything more extensible in the long run. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.