Jump to content


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


Backup routine having issues with exec

Recommended Posts

Hi all, sorry if this quesiton seems stupid or confusing.

I am trying to update a backup routine that was created by my predecessor. In a nutshell we've added a new directory to the backup list.

Very simple script, basically centered around:

[code]exec ("tar czvf /os/vm/temp/$fname.tar.gz /os/vm/msg/* /os/vm/dat/*");[/code]

Very very simple, we just tarball a couple directories, they are generally around 2-3 MB total. Works perfectly fine.

However, as I said I need to add a third directory, so I changed it to this:

[code]exec ("tar czvf /os/vm/temp/$fname.tar.gz /os/vm/msg/* /os/vm/tab/* /os/vm/dat/*");[/code]

The problem is that now all I get in my tarball is the "dat" and "tab" directories, "msg" just gets left out altogether. If I run it from the command line it's fine. I am guessing maybe it's a timeout issue or memory issue, though the "tab" directory is only like 400k in size.

In the php.ini safe_mode = OFF, max_execution_time = 30 seconds, and memory_limit = 16M (it's an embedded system and only has 16M RAM to work with)

I can't think of anything else that would cause this, thus my posting here. I am not sure what other information to provide as there's really not a lot to the action. I am not sure if this is a PHP issue or an O/S issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeah, I should have mentioned that, huh?

The return value is 0, and the output listing gives a list of all files compressed, which is simply absent of the "msg" directory. So not a terrible amount of help from the return value...

[EDIT] Also, if I remove the "dat" directory, I am left with a tarball containing only "tab", no "msg" still. Increasingly believing it must be a RAM thing, but the "tab" directory that is getting lobbed off is tiny...

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
[*]Is safe mode on? [b]Update:[/b] You mentioned it's off--oops.
[*]Are there files in msg? (I have to ask...)
[*]Could this be a permission issue? Although, I would think your return would be non-0 if it was...
[*]How many total files are in these directories? This could be an issue where you need xargs.
[*]Have you tried tee-ing the process to see what's going on?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Yes, all 3 directories have files, and don't worry, I would ask me the same thing ;)

Permissions are identical across all 3, and I'd also expect an error code of some sort if it's a permissions thing.

"msg" has 29, "tab" has 9, and "dat" has 5. ("tab" is the newly added directory) Given that I only added 9 files I didn't think it'd trigger a need for xargs, but I will try it.

Not quite sure how I'd tee this particular process, so no, haven't done it.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Works fine, packages it all with no issues. Same if I do tab by itself or dat by itself. Or if I do msg and dat. Or if I do tab and dat.

But if I do msg and tab all I get is msg, and if I do msg, tab, and dat all I get is msg and dat.

tab and msg just do not seem to want to live together.

And I just tested it with xargs: same results

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.